• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reasonable Engine Replacement?

ytownxj

NAXJA Forum User
So my 98 XJ 4.0 decided to take the jump and either needs a new head gasket or has a warped head. Not really sure what the repairs will cost but due to the amount of rust on the bolts holding the head on I'm not pulling the head off myself. So I was wondering if it would be more economical to get my engine repaired or to swap in a remanufactured engine with a warranty or if there was any other swap that I should do to take advantage of this situation. My jeep is my DD btw

check out the ebaymotors rebuilt 4.0s. not to0 expensive and come with GREAT warrantys. what im going to do when mine goes.

I'd just hit the junkyard and pick up a motor for 100 bucks... 200 if they pull it for you.

If you want the warranty it's like 30 bucks more. Or hell, if you're comparing to a reman, buy five of them, and keep the other 4 as backups.

Gentlemen, a junk yard is where I get my scrap metal, used sink for the shop, etc.

An automotive salvage yard is a land of great adventure, where many, many wonderful surprises await the brave of heart.

Gentlemen, a junk yard is where I get my scrap metal, used sink for the shop, etc.

An automotive salvage yard is a land of great adventure, where many, many wonderful surprises await the brave of heart who has an up to date tetanus shot.
fixed that for you :spin1:

I got a Reman. Engine though Kragen, since I know the Manager.
It is an ATK, Ran about $1500 with a 6 year warrentee.

I sold one to POLAR JEEP 04 for $200 and his jeep runs great! Try to find someone prating out a wrecked Jeep with a known good motor!

I got ripped off by a local automotive salvage yard, paid $500 for a motor that supposedly had 86K miles on it. Needed it quick because my other DD was down and out for the count and I had nothing to get me to work. Turned out to be a 154K mile motor with a blown head gasket.

Came with a 30 day return policy, but I instead got the owner to pay for my time and expenses of getting the head resurfaced at a trusted machine shop that was able to turn it around for me in a day. A lot of BS and shady automotive salvage employees, but I will have put 20K miles on the engine in the last year so I think it was a worthwhile investment.

Although after that debacle, I have a known, good spare engine sitting in my shop just in case...

I just had theis repair job done when I blew the head gasket. Depending on what is done to the head and how much the shop price is, it'll run you about $500-750 to have the head resurfaced and rebuilt. Labor will always be more then parts. If you can pull and re-install the head, you're saving quite a bit of money.

Back