• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount help

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ 4.o 6cyl
The write up says to do the passenger side first!
I got everything on the passenger mount loose but I cant get the bolt out I took the nut off of it but the housing for the oil filter is in the way
I would take it off but I'm worried about the size of the o-ring that goes to it and whether I have that size ( I have a multi-case full of o-rings from harbor freight tools )
the biggest i have is a 1 3/4 i think!!!
Any ideas guys Im out working on the rig now

If you remove the oil filter from the OFA you should be able to get the bolt by it.

Been there, done that. Yes, you need to remove the OFA. You should be able to find a replacement at your local autoparts place. You just may have to buy a bag of 5.

If the OFA has never been off (that you know of), you should replace all three o-rings.

If you can't get the OFA bolt loose (it's a real bear!), you *may* be able to remove the 3 bolts holding the engine mount to the block and pull the whole thing out from underneath. I didn't try this so can't guarantee it will work.

OK guys I ended up taking the OFA off and I change to of the O-rings the biggest one I didnt have but it didn't seem to be broken just a lil hard.
But since I didnt have the means to get to a part store I just replaced what I could it was hard to get off but not that hard!!
I got the new mounts in I hooked every thing I disconnected right back up and I even change my ground wire from the battery!!!!
Someone from my neighborhood told me that I had the engine mount bolts way to tight and that my engine needs room to move!!? He suggested I loosen them a lil which I did just enough to notice a lil movement from pushing the engine!! Was he right?
I only ask because now that I started the engine whenever I hit the throttle it seems like t wants to die on me!! In fact it did once.... then I added more oil and it helped, but it seems to be rumbling at idle... what could be causing this guys please help my day off is over, back to work tomorrow I really dont want the thing shutting off on me!! Thanks

The torque on the motor mounts should not affect the way the engine runs. Something else is happenning. The motor mount bolt should be pretty tight. You probably should tighten that back up. The movement should be in the rubber, not the bolt hole.

Are these stock mounts? If so, make the bolts tight.

Bracket to block bolts: 30 ft lbs
Cushion to frame bracket: 45 ft lbs
Thru-bolt: 48 ft lbs

I think you have more problems than your bolt torque. Especially if you added oil and it helped?

Well I think i have it a bit tighter then that as the torque wrench was set to 65-70 ft lbs and then I probably loosened it 2 to three turns, but i drove it to the store and back and made sure before going that my oil level was in the clear. I must say after the trip it seemed to idle better..... I check the grounds on the block they are nice and tight plus it has a new battery ground wire with more moving room. I dont know what it could be that would make it shut off like that after touching the throttle it has me nervous to drive I hate feeling like I have to mash the gas to keep the jeep on i like when it idles regularly

jus thought of something else I had to touch when doing the mounts I had to remove a bolt that help this "can shaped thing for the compressor" (im guessing). It was on the right side of the motor mount (passenger side) but i just removed the mounting bolt and moved it a couple of times trying to get a torgue wrench on there!

Sorry last post a lil confusing. Basics I had to move the compressor can shape thing outta the way to torque down on the mounts through bolts.
Not sure what is causing the problems so i figured I throw everything out there!
any ideas let me know I'll test drive it again now

ok guys this problem is really messing with me If im driving the jeep mashing the gas when necessary it seems ok, But if i start the jeep up cold/ or hot and push down on the throttle lever with my finger its seems as if it wants to die, and has died out on me. While pressing the throttle, with fingers and mash it down so it wont cut off I hear pop, pop coming from the tail pipe (im assuming its backfire)? And it only happens when im idling. but mash the gas while driving doesnt seem to have the same affect
Im not sure at this point spark plugs and wires are new as can be!
thanks 4 the help

Last edited:
- check plug wires for solid connections (you were right there doing the mount)
- check small ground wires at dipstick tube (you were right there doing the battery cable)
- check all vacuum lines on the driver side (you were right there doing the mount)

I check the plugs wires there on there tight I even double check the order!!!!!
I look at the vacuum lines every thing looks good but ill check that again.
Is there anything I could have mess up raising the engine that im not thinking of?
or taking the filter housing off? I could only change 2 of the O-rings the case from Harbor freight didn't have the big O-ring. But I keep checking no leaks from there so far!
which leads me 2 a question?
... The O-rings on the filter housing were all hard! The O-rings I have are soft, are they hard because there bad or Do i need some hard O-rings?

I definitely did make sure it was good and clean and tight!!!
On the other hand I ended changing my shocks and coolant temp sensor located at the bottom of the engine close to the driver side mount.
after a ball joint job went sour and what do you know I think I cure that jeep tryna shut off on me by changing the sensor I only assume that because I read on here that the sensor was a possibility.
and also after all was said and done I couldnt get the jeep to stumble like it was doing before. Maybe the sensor went bad or some thing
but the odd thing is.. I didnt notice that i wasnt having high idle when it was stumbling but I notice now because it keeps idling very high
and this is when i 1st start it!!!

Back