• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problem: overhead lights, radio, Gauges

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I opened up my door today and the lights didnt turn on like usual. They didnt switch on manually either. The truck started right up, I then immediately noticed the radio had no power and the gauges were all still.

The weird thing is the gauge cluster still brightens and dims. turn signals still flash. So the gauges are definitely connected to the computer.

Recently I removed the gauge cluster to clean and repaint the the indicator arms orange. I poped it back in and havnt had a single problem till now. I cant find any blown fuses, so I think its some type of grounding issue.

SO any idea what is causing this loss of power?

Thanks.

Well, I think you could have two issues going on.

First, the interior lights are un-switched--they work key on or off. Did you test the bulb(s)?

Second, the instruments are switched--key on only. I would pull the instrument cluster and check the connector to see if it needs cleaning and a little dielectric grease. Also, see if you can "tug" a bit on the harness to give some strain relief to the connector.

There is a fuse in the PDC under the hood, it controls all three of those objects, the gauge functions, not lights, the radio, and the overhead lights. It blew.

Edit: #16 fuse, should be a 15 amp.

Last edited:
Oh one of the big fuses. I didnt check those, just the ones inside.

If that dosent work ill have to take the dash apart again, Thanks for the help.

Oh one of the big fuses. I didnt check those, just the ones inside.

If that dosent work ill have to take the dash apart again, Thanks for the help.

Nope, its a mini-fuse. Check my edit in my post above for what you should look for in case you missed it, as we posted at the same time.

wish I had an easy button to press.... thought i had bigger issues. who would have thought the gauges themselves, the overhead lights and the radio were all on one fuse, but not the dash lights.

wonder why it decided to blow? maybe it was because I added an underhood light recently?

Back