• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Dipstick

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I have attached a link to a photograph of my transmission dipstick.

http://yfrog.com/83img2439wgj

The image might not be that big but I added some text in white on the photograph. On the far left there is an 'ADD' mark then a little further right of that there is an 'OK' band and a little further right of that there is a MAX line.
On the far right of the photograph there is a mark - - max when hot Check in Neutral. This mark is about 4 inches further up the dipstick than the other max mark. If I fill to the first MAX level when cold and check the fluid hot in neutral it never reaches the - - mark on the far right of the photograph. At the moment ny fluid level whether hot or cold is around the second bend in the twisted part of the dipstick. So my question is which is the right fill line because when I added 6 qts I was able to reach the max -- when hot but then it leaked transmission fluid everywhere?

Last edited:
It uploaded, you're misusing the term upload though. It's stored on imageshack, you're using the wrong code to put it here, we just have to click the link which is fine.

You want to use the code from under "embed thumbnails of this image", like this:

(click for big)

I think what you are confusing is just instructions wrote on the dipstick, they are just that "instructions" not a second Max line. It's just telling you that the max line is when the transmission is up to temp and in neutral. It's not a separate Hot and Cold max line.

~~|Add==|OK==*|Max~~[instructions]

You might be right.
Just to clarify on the right of the dipstick in the photograph, which is approximately 4" higher up than the first max line it actually reads exactly like this

CHECK IDLING IN NEUTRAL - - MAX LEVEL WHEN HOT

When I saw the two marks - - and the 'max when hot' next to it I assumed that the fluid would fall between these two marks when hot

I read it as instructions not a second line to get a reading on. I would drain whatever comes out of the pan and refill a bit at a time until your near that Max line above the little hole. If you're filling all the way to that other line you got way too much fluid in there.

Your dipstick is no different than any other tranny dipstick, it looks just like both my Jeeps.

If you emptied six quarts out of it you should put six quarts in BUT just draining the pan will not yield 6 quarts. The key here is not adding it all until you've run the tranny around the block and to the store and back. It's not like engine oil, half (or more) of the fluid is up inside your torque converter, tranny lines, pump body etc. and will not drain back into the pan like oil.

Add fluid to the "add" mark when cold. Take it for a spin (you won't do your tranny any damage going 5 miles with it at the "add" line. Then check the fluid, hot, running and in Park or Neutral. It's now likely at the OK line, if not, add a little more, go for a spin, check fluid, repeat as necessary until you get to the OK line. Then you're OK.

Then carry some fluid with you and check the level every time you stop, you really won't hurt anything if you are a pint or two low. You really don't want it a the MAX HOT ever. Just below that is "OK". Having it TOO full will at the very least allow it to puke fluid and foam up and out whenever you get it nice n' hot.

Technical, I know, but it works. Next time measure how much comes out and only put that much back in. At this point I think I would drain all the fluid out (just out of the drain plug) and refill with just 3 qts. for a reasonable starting point.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that, I will drain the oil out and start again. Just one question is the MAX mark just above the 'OK' band the max when hot mark when checking in neutral or is it the other one with the two marks - -, which I say is about 4 inches further up the dipstick from the first max mark and states MAX WHEN HOT next to it?

There should be an area that is hatch marked. At the bottom of the hatch marks it should say ADD, at the top of the hatching it should say FULL or OK. The fluid, when checking HOT should never make it past the curly part. If it's past the curly part you have quite a bit too much fluid.

The hole near the middle of the hatching should be covered. If you don't find hatching, turn the stick over.

Thanks for the information. I don't have any hatching but the fluid is near the top of the curly part when cold. I seem to remember that when I bought the XJ from the Jeep dealer , they had replaced the fluid to about the same place it is now - top of the curly part, so I guess they got it wrong as well, which isn't surprising. Problem is I have been driving it like that from the dealer for about 2 years. Hope I haven't done too much damage.

Typically, the first line (marked "ADD") is the "one pint low" line. The second line ("MAX") is where it should be when checked according to the instruction - "Hot, Idling in Park." (This is typical for most automatic transmissions - although some indicate they are to be checked in Neutral, vice Park.)

Reason? You need to check the operating fluid level. The automatic transmission is pimarily a hydraulic control system (the engine oil is simply a lubricant, for the most part. Far fewer hydraulic bits.) Therefore, you need to make sure that you have sufficient fluid to be picked up and circulated while the fluid is being circulated in the first place, under pressure. Checking it cold can give you a "false low," (heat tends to make things expand,) and checking it when the pump isn't running can give you a "false high" (the fluid isn't being circulated as it should be.) Both are bad.

Yes, you'll get a slightly higher reading if you check it hot than if you check it cold, all else being equal. However, this certainly is not going to be anywhere near four inches on the dipstick! Probably closer to a quarter-inch or so...

The dipstick is in the very corner of a very large flat pan SO even a small tilt of the vehicle has a big effect on reading.

Pick a place to stop vehicle so it is as level as you can get it AND use that same place for more readings.

The "add" to the Max "full" marks on dipstick are approx 1/4 inch apart. In that big flat pan 1/4 inch is around a pint, so its a bit touchy getting ATF level "just right".

It takes a good 20-30 minutes to get to full running temperature. So drive it that long just before final reading and touchup of level.

Good news is, if no leaks, the set level holds real good ! (Unless overfilled!)

As mentioned- Measure Drained amount and replace with equal amount when changing.

Good Luck,
Orange

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I don't have any hatching but the fluid is near the top of the curly part when cold. I seem to remember that when I bought the XJ from the Jeep dealer , they had replaced the fluid to about the same place it is now - top of the curly part, so I guess they got it wrong as well, which isn't surprising. Problem is I have been driving it like that from the dealer for about 2 years. Hope I haven't done too much damage.

I'm confused, so I'll just say this. IF your fluid level is EVER at or above the curly part it is over filled. When cold it sholud be somewhere between the 2 little holes in the stick. when HOT and in neutral not more than about 3/4" to 1" above the TOP hole. The words ingraved above the curly part are instruction, ONLY.

When you refil, do it a little at a time, with the motor running in neutral, pour 1 pint, check the stick, if not in the OK zone, pour 1 pint more, repeat till inside the OK zone. Go for a short drive, get temp to the normal range, recheck level, add if below the OK level, drive some more, recheck, repeat til the level JUST crosses the Max/hot line.

anywhere between the 2 holes, when at operating temp, is OK.

If it shows below the bottom hole, add a pint.

easy as that.

Back