• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question! d35 to c8.25

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
my spiders in my d35 are shot and i found a chrysler 8 1/4 with 100,000 miles on it out of a 98. i have a 2001 and im wondering if this is a straight swap. it is the same gear ratio. thanks for the help!

the driveshaft would not be the same and your ABS would stop working.

There should be a tag on the diff cover that has the ratio on it. Both Autos? Manuals? Be sure to get the ubolts and plate from the donor as the axle tubes are larger on the 8.25...

the driveshaft would not be the same and your ABS would stop working.

different length or different ujoint?

im not sure if i have abs... but it has locked up on me on some hard breaking on the freeway.

There are no spots to mount the ABS sensors on a stock 8.25. HOWEVER, there is this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73521 (ignore the people arguing)

Driveshaft will be about an inch shorter iirc. The general consensus is that lifting 3-5" makes up for the driveshaft length quite nicely.

EDIT: oh yeah, you're gonna need new U-bolts, but you should not reuse U-bolts anyways.

EDIT2: To determine if you have ABS on your XJ, check the rubber brake lines. If ABS is installed, you'll see one round black cable about 3/16" or 4-5mm in diameter next to each front brake hose and two next to the rear brake hose. You will also find a hydraulic control unit mounted between the back of the air filter housing and the front end of the master cylinder under the hood. It will have 5 brake lines leading to it.

Last edited:
There are no spots to mount the ABS sensors on a stock 8.25. HOWEVER, there is this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73521 (ignore the people arguing)

Driveshaft will be about an inch shorter iirc. The general consensus is that lifting 3-5" makes up for the driveshaft length quite nicely.

EDIT: oh yeah, you're gonna need new U-bolts, but you should not reuse U-bolts anyways.

EDIT2: To determine if you have ABS on your XJ, check the rubber brake lines. If ABS is installed, you'll see one round black cable about 3/16" or 4-5mm in diameter next to each front brake hose and two next to the rear brake hose.

i dont have abs. so no worries there. and the 8.25 driveshaft is shorter or the d35 shaft is shorter?

stock but will have a 3" very soon. im putting it out of commision till i get the rear diff, suspension, engine work done.

isnt that backwards then? you need a longer dshaft when lifting...

stock but will have a 3" very soon. im putting it out of commision till i get the rear diff, suspension, engine work done.

isnt that backwards then? you need a longer dshaft when lifting...

i must be dislexic. nvm, it makes sense now.

if you lift it 3" then you shouldn't have DS issues, but I wouldn't drive stock suspension with the swapped in 8.25, if it compresses into the tailhousing on the T-case it's going to get ugly.

if you lift it 3" then you shouldn't have DS issues, but I wouldn't drive stock suspension with the swapped in 8.25, if it compresses into the tailhousing on the T-case it's going to get ugly.

thats what i was thinking. yeah im definitley lifting it before it goes anywhere. the rear leafs sag really bad and my control arm bushings are shot so it needs it anyways.

Back