• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)

Samson04

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98xj 4.0 with auto tranny. I am being told that the NSS has a short in one of the wires causing it to blow the fuse for my AC Compressor. I just called the dealer and they want $380! Local parts house wants $260. Is there anywhere to buy these cheaper? Also, the local pull-a-part has (3) 97's but no 98's. Will the 97 work on the 98? Any help GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I'll admit that I don't know much about the HO wiring, but I don't see how the NSS is tied into the AC compressor circuit.

Anyways, the NSS is pretty much the same for all the AW4 trans years, and 97s and 98s were both OBDII so yes, it will most likely work.

You may also want to pull the NSS and look to see if there's really anything wrong with it. If it's got a short that's popping fuses I'd expect some heat damage, as the NSS fingers are really small, ad that kind of amperage would certainly et them red hot.

It may also just need cleaned, there are several threads already about the R&R and cleaning of it to save yourself the $300. Do a search for NSS cleaning.

A guy on ebay sells them remanufactured for $20. I installed one in february and have not had a single problem and it was in prefect condition.

A guy on ebay sells them remanufactured for $20. I installed one in february and have not had a single problem and it was in prefect condition.

remanufactured= goes to the junkyard, takes them apart and cleans them.

There's a pictorial thread somewhere on here about removing and cleaning it.

1. Neutral Safety Switch--prevents the engine from cranking unless the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. The NSS also provides data to the TCU of the physical gear the transmission is in. That's it. No a/c input, no a/c output.

2. You can go to a salvage yard and buy 3 or 4 of them for what they are asking.

3. You can pull yours and clean it, lubricate it with dielectric grease, reinstall and adjust it--DIY: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

Now, I'm not there working on your XJ, but IF, BY SOME MIRACLE OF THE COSMOS, YOUR NSS WAS BLOWING THE A/C FUSE, THEN YOU HAVE A SHORT IN THE HARNESS AND REPLACING THE NSS OR ANY A/C COMPONENTS WOULD NOT FIX IT. My .02 worth. Maybe, in a place far, far, away--the NSS provides the ground to the starter relay--in the PDC. Remove the negative battery cable, unbolt and turn the PDC upside down and see if there is corrosion.

Now, I'm not there working on your XJ, but IF, BY SOME MIRACLE OF THE COSMOS, YOUR NSS WAS BLOWING THE A/C FUSE, THEN YOU HAVE A SHORT IN THE HARNESS AND REPLACING THE NSS OR ANY A/C COMPONENTS WOULD NOT FIX IT. My .02 worth.

well said.
I'd really ask some detailed questions to the people at the shop as to why they think the NSS is the cause of your AC fuse popping, because I just don't see how those two systems are interlinked.

Back