• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips and tricks to r/r the CPS?

ComancheKid23

NAXJA Forum User
Doing my first CPS r/r and holy frig did I ever chance the wrong time to do it. 0915 and its already 90F in my shady little spot.

I've already removed the front driveshaft, but I need to know a few things. First, the bolt head size for the CPS.

Second. Easiest way OR things I could remove/shift aside to make my toil less bothersome?

Thanks all!

I think it was a 12mm or a 10mm or so, haven't done one for a while. Easiest way is with alot of extensions and a wobble head at the socket. Or if you need to do your intake/exhaust gasket you can get at it real easy then.

It's an 11 mm.

Pack the socket with some grease (a dab) so the bolt doesn't get lost in the bell housing. Why did you remove the front shaft?? To access the CPS or something else?

I've gotten mine with a 12" and 6" extension (no wobble) and I attack it from about half way back of the tranny, arm all the way up in there.

Paradise, the front shaft made way so I could fit my arm up and 'feel' out the CPS.

I'm not a fan of wobblers so I'll giv'er with the straight extensions. I've got lots of time and patience.

Thanks!

It's an 11 mm.

Pack the socket with some grease (a dab) so the bolt doesn't get lost in the bell housing. Why did you remove the front shaft?? To access the CPS or something else?

I've gotten mine with a 12" and 6" extension (no wobble) and I attack it from about half way back of the tranny, arm all the way up in there.

X2^^ on all the above-- life is much easier if you've got the extensions and ratchet in 1/4" drive too-- they're usually much smaller and easier to maneuver in tight spaces. I usually just break the bolts free with the ratchet and use a 1/4" drive "nut driver" to spin them out. It will allow you the use of your other hand to keep the bolts from dropping into the bell housing.

I never used to be a fan of wobble extensions and u-joints till I did an intake manifold. Now I use em all the time!

Pulling the front shaft makes it easier, if you really want to go easy on yourself, drop the transmission crossmember (with a jack under the trans) and lower the whole drivetrain a bit to get some more working space. Of course, if you break off the studs or round the nuts on the crossmember, this makes it harder not easier :looney:

I never used to be a fan of wobble extensions and u-joints till I did an intake manifold. Now I use em all the time!

Pulling the front shaft makes it easier, if you really want to go easy on yourself, drop the transmission crossmember (with a jack under the trans) and lower the whole drivetrain a bit to get some more working space. Of course, if you break off the studs or round the nuts on the crossmember, this makes it harder not easier :looney:
x100 on this... sooo much more room to maneuver.

theres no need to pull a shaft or jam your hands up there. i used a cordless drill with a couple extensions and a swivel. works like a charm and dont bust your knuckles. just be carefull not to drop the bolt. when i put the bolts back in i threaded them in a few turns by hand holding the extensions then used the drill to finish it.

My best results have come with 1/4 inch drive extensions. I use two relatively long ones and one medium length, with a u-joint. Different arrangements of these work better for each bolt, though the u-joint usually goes somewhere near the middle of the line, but with enough extensions, it's pretty easy to get them lined up and figure out how to hold them. I use a piece of paper or plastic to hold the bolt into the socket. Use a 6 point socket if possible.

It helps a great deal to have a lot of light. Make sure you have the hood open and light above as well as below. Always use the plastic dust shield if you can, because it will help hold the sensor in while you fiddle with the screws, and also prevents them from falling in if you drop one.

The first time you tackle this it will seem ridiculously difficult, but after a few it seems pretty routine.

You guys seem to be making this way harder than it is. Just did my first one last night. It took maybe 5 minutes, didn't drop the driveshaft and no power tools. 1/4 drive, 2 extensions and a wobble socket. Easy peasy.

it didnt even take me 5 min. but im a big guy and there is no way my hands are gonna fit anywhere up there, so after years of experience at a chrysler dealer, and some great teachers i came up with the drill. this is such a common problem i had to have a fast way of replacing them. just my preference, some of you might have your preferred way. whatever floats youre boat.

Back