• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight wiring update

In the fitchva write up .... he has one relay designated for the Lo-Beam operation ... and the other relay for Hi-Beam operation.

Problem is ... in his drawings of the relays he has the outputs numbered as 87 ... and 87a.

Its a slight discrepancy ... in a very good writeup ... that will have one headlamp on Hi-Beam ... while the other is on Lo-Beam ...

If you use one relay for Lo-Beam and the other for Hi-Beam ... as per the wiring diagram on in the writeup ... then each of the relay output terminals should both be numbered 87.

The #87 connection is normally open contact - until switching power is provided at the #85 connection.

The #87a connection is normally closed contact - until switching power is provided at the #85 connection.

Some relay info for you .....

http://www.traxide.com.au/Relay_Info.html
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm#demo

Ok so the first relay I posted would work for his setup. Since it is a normally open dual 87. The second relay I linked to would be 30 battery +, 85 ground, 87 to low or high and 86 to signal. Just depends what you want. Is that correct. I have read both of those sites and that's what I am getting.

Thank carves.

Booked mark the second site. A lot of info their.

Ok so the first relay I posted would work for his setup. Since it is a normally open dual 87. The second relay I linked to would be 30 battery +, 85 ground, 87 to low or high and 86 to signal. Just depends what you want. Is that correct. I have read both of those sites and that's what I am getting.

Thank carves.

Booked mark the second site. A lot of info their.

Yep .... sounds like you have it sorted.

Basically its just a matter of treating Lo-Beam as one pair of driving lights .... and Hi-Beam as another pair ... and using the correct, switching power source, for each relay.

Pin #86 normally goes to ground
Pin #85 normally gets the 12v switching input e.g. a splice from the Hi-Beam wire ... or the chosen 12v activation source.

The two connections can be swapped around but I make it a habit to use 86 as ground ( as shown in the links and fitch's site ) .... Saves having to stop and think about what I did - when I mess around with it the next time ... ;)

Pin #86 normally goes to ground
Pin #85 normally gets the 12v switching input e.g. a splice from the Hi-Beam wire ... or the chosen 12v activation source.

The two connections can be swapped around but I make it a habit to use 86 as ground ( as shown in the links and fitch's site ) .... Saves having to stop and think about what I did - when I mess around with it the next time ... ;)

As long as you don't wok in the auto industry, this is fine. Mfg's LOOOOVE to change these around all the time.

As long as you don't wok in the auto industry, this is fine. Mfg's LOOOOVE to change these around all the time.

heh heh ... Have a look at the XJ foglight wiring ...

It uses a relay .... and somehow the full power from the battery still goes through the switch before it gets to the lights ....

No wonder the poor little switch fails .... :laugh:

Auto industry does have some strange concepts of relay use.

Headlight relay issues in the XJ were easily fixed though ... they just never bothered to fit relays .... :roflmao:

the second link is def the wrong relay

that one switches between prong 87 and 87a you want it to switch between open or 87 and 87a

i think the first is right but i like to see diagrams. on the end of the relay

i love this mod its amazing how nice stock lights can be if they actually get the power they want. now i have people flashing me when im on lows:roflmao:

Here is the diagram for the one in the first link.

utf-8BcmVsYXkgZGlhZ3JhbS5KUEc.jpg

Here is the diagram for the one in the first link.

Hmmm .. No wonder there is so much confusion over relays ...

If the relay has a pin marked 87a .... then that pin will be closed circuit whilst the pin 87 will be open circuit.

white hawk ... Delete the letter "a" from the diagram you posted and it shows a correct circuit for a dual output, normally open, relay.

In the land of relays ..... The letter "a" doesnt signify its just the second pin ...

It signifies its a totally different pin ... that does a totally different job. ;)

Hope that helps.

That is described as, and the diagram shows, that relay being a 2 contact, NO relay- meaning it simultaneously closes both contacts. 87a in this case does not look to be normally closed.

I have a Bosch relay taken from one of my RX's. The diagram for it is

utf-8BcmVsYXkgZGlhZ3JhbS5KUEc.jpg

(ignore the current ratings- I didn't erase them. It simply says 12V 20/30A for the trigger and load circuits). As it operates, it opens the normally closed 87a, and closes the normally open 87 contact. That first relay is what you want. edit- it even says in the PDF, "Dual 87 contacts".

Last edited:
Problem is ... in his drawings of the relays he has the outputs numbered as 87 ... and 87a.

Its a slight discrepancy ... in a very good writeup ... that will have one headlamp on Hi-Beam ... while the other is on Lo-Beam ...

If you use one relay for Lo-Beam and the other for Hi-Beam ... as per the wiring diagram on in the writeup ... then each of the relay output terminals should both be numbered 87.

The #87 connection is normally open contact - until switching power is provided at the #85 connection.

The #87a connection is normally closed contact - until switching power is provided at the #85 connection.

No, not when talking about a relay with dual 87 contacts, in which case both 87 and 87a are normally open, and are both activated when the relay turns on.
Hubs97xj has it correct when he posted the diagram.

Yes, in a SPDT relay, the 87 and 87a contacts are NO and NC circuits, but the above relay mentioned is a SPST relay with dual contacts.

I was reading this guide and I have everything except the relays. fitchva.com/jeep/?p=48 It says a dpst relay. So do I use this one

www.delcity.net/store/Normally-Open-Relay-w:-Dual-87-Contacts/p_791795.a_1
I made my own wire harness, and it uses two of these relays. These are the correct ones you want.

Last edited:
No, not when talking about a relay with dual 87 contacts, in which case both 87 and 87a are normally open, and are both activated when the relay turns on.

So in the USA ... they mark/label both types of relays with 87 ... and 87a :dunno:

Last edited:
I don't know about the labeling (none of my relays are made in the states), but that diagram can only be for NO, dual 87 contacts, and it's labeled as such.

The drawing/tech specs
http://www.delcity.net/images/linedrawings/73996.pdf

Thats interesting.

Its dual NO operation ... but the pins are labelled as a N.O. & N.C. relay operation.

Just to clarify ......

The whole reason for my first post was to ensure that white hawk purchased relays with dual, normally open contact, outputs.

Thats the relay type we all seem to agree on as being needed for the job.

For those that arent familiar with N.O. or N.C. etc .... Whats printed on the relay is the only guide they have.

Purchasing a relay with 87 & 87a stamped on it will get them the wrong relay .... unless the USA sold relays arent marked in accordance with ISO requirements.

Last edited:
So in the USA ... they mark/label both types of relays with 87 ... and 87a :dunno:

I guess so.

I'm not near my jeep that has the headlight harness, but this is from Fitchva's website. Notice the 87a and 87 contacts on the diagram.

main.php

I guess so.

I'm not near my jeep that has the headlight harness, but this is from Fitchva's website. Notice the 87a and 87 contacts on the diagram.

Ahhhhhh .......

More importantly .... Notice the letters in the top left corner ??? .... and google them .....:roflmao:

https://login.yahoo.com/config/logi....com/tw/auction/1205876797&_r=1403759081&rl=1

Copying other products properly doesnt seem to be a priority in chinese manufacture .... ;)

I only buy Hella, Narva ... or Bosch ... brands with quality control procedures.

I don't if I can post a address to another site but. I found a sight that might help others. I think what I know what to look for. It is in figure 4 hope fully correct .the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp just add www to it. If this not permitted than. I will erase it

I just want to say thank you to everyone that helped me out. Now I understand much appreciated. Hope fully I can help some one else down the road.

Back