• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to retrieve something dropped in defroster vent???

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of fixing my loose tilt steering column, the dashboard makes a nice flat surface to set all the little bolts, pins, and other peices. However, if you plan to hit the column with a rubber mallet, you should remove all of those parts from the dash. Long story short, one of the tilt pins made it's way into the defroster vent!! :flamemad:

I've tried a telescoping magnet from above, magnet from below - no dice. I'm hoping that if I turn the vent from defrost (current setting) to heat, the door will open and it will fall out. Of course I'll have to start it (to get vacuum) without a lock cylinder, but that should be easy enough. Will it be that easy to retrieve it? This is on a 1990 XJ by the way.

Any suggestions on how to remove the pin from never-never land???

Don't think they make those magnets small enough to fit in the vent holes, pluse I don't have one. And once I drop it in there, how would I move it around to catch anything???

Any other tips??

I dropped a stick-on clock down r/side center vent, when i get the dash back together i'm just going to dremel the thing out and j&b it back together.

gravity sometimes sucks... :flamemad:

Sideways drift. Years ago a friend bought a VW van that had seen use for some business or other. It worked fine but the defroster never worked worth a damn. Of course VW defrosters were never much but this one was pathetic even for a VW. Fast forward about 10 years, the van rots out, gets retired and cut up. When he cut through the duct to the defroster he found 40 pencils.

PAPXJ said:
Pick up a pin at a junk yard and leave the one in the defroster

I may have to, it just takes a while to get the column that dissassembled, but maybe a hammer would speed that process. :)

And I'd have to pick up the special tool. I don't think the little bolt I used as a puller would stand another pull.

A sideways drift is out since I don't have a steering wheel currently.

Had something drop in the the vents on my 01. I was only able to get it out when I removed my dash to replace my evaporator. Sucked too, everytime I'd put the fan on high, the little piece would rattle around in there.

Back