• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Question

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Jeep Cherokee limited, 4.0 engine, automatic transmission. Air conditioner will start out running nice and cold. Then from time to time, no set frequency will stop blowing cold or even cool air. Gauge on low pressure side shows pressure in range, gauge came with R134a refill kit, which I bought because I thought the charge might be low. When this happens, it will start cooling again without you doing anything. Sometimes turning the air off and back on will cause it to start cooling sooner. Last time it happened I stopped the vehicle and opened the hood. The compressor was not running. After a short time the compressor engaged and once again cold air. Can someone give a clue as to what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Bill

This sounds most like when the gap between the compressor clutch becomes excessive. Do you hear the clutch click on and off, but the compressor is still not turning? I don't remember the process to adjust it, but it should come up if you search a little or look for the specs in the FSM.

This sounds most like when the gap between the compressor clutch becomes excessive. Do you hear the clutch click on and off, but the compressor is still not turning? I don't remember the process to adjust it, but it should come up if you search a little or look for the specs in the FSM.

Haven't had it running with the hood open for a full on / off cycle. I do know that if I'm outside and have my wife turn the air on off on, I can hear the clutch cycle and the compressor turns. hen it is running and blowing cold air and then stops blowing cold, it almost appears as something is turning of power to the clutch. Will check further tomorrow as i'm off of work.

Back