• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC clutch went on the way home today..

YeaItsSlo

NAXJA Forum User
no idea how or what, but i was driving home and noticed a funny smell, then it started squeeling and i just pulled into my driveway and popped the hood and noticed that the ac clutch was glowing red.. can i buy just the clutch? i dont even need/use ac, anyone know the belt size to just forget about the ac?

i dont want to spend the $$ on a new ac compressor.. any help would be good

nylyon said:
Sounds more like the compressor locked up causing the clutch to slip. See if you can turn the compressor to see if it is seized.

either way, can i get a shorter belt to just get rid of the ac compressor all together?

i know that this subject has been covered a few times. when i had this happen, a search revieled a good amount of answers.

however, i know that its way easier to replace the entire compressor (clutch and all) instead of just the clutch. reason being that there are special tools needed to remove the clutch and from what i hear, they are near impossible to find.

also, simply a shorter belt is not the answer. a tentioner or empty pully is needed in its place to maintain proper belt routing and tention.

my compressor went out at the end of the summer and i have yet to replace it for a second time. before i got a remaned unit for $400. next time, im just gonna go for a junkyard pulled unit.

hth
stewie

stewie said:
i know that this subject has been covered a few times. when i had this happen, a search revieled a good amount of answers.

however, i know that its way easier to replace the entire compressor (clutch and all) instead of just the clutch. reason being that there are special tools needed to remove the clutch and from what i hear, they are near impossible to find.

also, simply a shorter belt is not the answer. a tentioner or empty pully is needed in its place to maintain proper belt routing and tention.

my compressor went out at the end of the summer and i have yet to replace it for a second time. before i got a remaned unit for $400. next time, im just gonna go for a junkyard pulled unit.

hth
stewie

yea 400 is nuts for somthing i dont even use :( i guess i gotta try the bone yards...

Back