• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relacing my ICA. What brand

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
Fellows: Im going to replace the ICA on my 88XJ 4.0l and looked at what Rock Auto has. They offer 3 brands of manufacture with prices ranging from $34 to $82.

What manufacturer do you all recomend or what to avoid?

IAC--idle air controller?

Original Equipment Management, OEM, very cute. Never heard of it.

Airtex--don't care for their stuff.

Standard, used their stuff for years, no major problems.

Save some bucks, grab a couple at the salvage yard.

A**uming you have idle issues? Cleaned the throttle body and IAC port? Cleaned the IAC?

Joe: Thanks. Yes its Idle issues and for the past year or so. Its been a runs fine for a while to a High idle at start up once in awhile and here lately nearly every time I start its High Idle time...untill I get down the road a couple miles.

Ive cleaned everything several times, over the course of the year.

Lately I had the intake hose off, started the engine which went to High Idle and saw the IAC pintal valve(?) slowly extend itself into the air bypass port which of course brought the idle down.

Thoughts? With 285k on my 88XJ Im not surprised if the ICA is a problem.

I would grab a couple at the junkyard as well.

IACs don't go bad very often in my experience, so I would rather buy several used for the same price, I see it as a very safe bet.

As Cruiser54 said, definitely test/adjust the TPS.

IACs can become "lazy" with age, and that might be your issue.

And I can't agree more with Kastein, pick up a few at the salvage yard--the odds are in your favor.

Havent checked the TPS.

As Joe mentioned I "think" I have a lazy IAC.

The reason is that its not just a idle flareup. Its a high idle for several minutes/miles and then suddenly the idle comes back to norm.

Its been getting progessively worse for a looong time (years).

How hard is it to check the TPs as I have a real cheap meter?

Back