• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4X4 not engaging???

DualPurposeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 XJ that i bought a couple months ago and when i went to use the 4 wheel drive it didnt work:mad: it goes into 4 wheel drive fine its just not engaging. when i crawled under the jeep there was a wire hanging down that looked like it plugged into a part of the axle so i plugged it in and it still didnt work. can anyone help me fix this?

What transfer case? If you have the NP242 you likely have a transfer case problem. If you have an NP231 then you likely have a vacuum issue with the vacuum disconnect on the front axle.

If you have the vacuum disconnect axle and NP231 transfer case here are some things to check:

Is the vacuum reservoir (OEM behind front bumper, passenger's side) intact and is the vacuum line(s) attached?

Is the vacuum supply line broken around the battery?

Is the vacuum line to the transfer case switch intact?

When you engage 4x4 does the transfer case switch pass vacuum to one of the ports?

When you disengage 4x4 does the transfer case switch pass vacuum to the other port?

Do you have vacuum from the transfer case switch to the vacuum motor on the front axle?

There are three vacuum ports on the axle vacuum motor. Engage, disengage, 4x4 light. When vacuum is applied to the outermost port the axle shift fork moves the engagement collar outward on the axle, disengaging the two piece axle and disengaging 4x4. When vacuum is applied to the middle port the axle shift fork moves the engagement collar and the two pieces of the axle are connected, allowing 4x4. The third or innermost port gets vacuum when the axle is engaged and that vacuum travels up a vacuum line to a vacuum/electrical switch on the passenger's side firewall. This switch, when vacuum is applied, is what lights up the 4x4 light in the instrument panel.

Last edited:
i have the NP231 t-case. Thanks i will try to check some of those things today. also when i shift into 4 wheel drive the 4X4 light doesnt come on.

i have the NP231 t-case. Thanks i will try to check some of those things today. also when i shift into 4 wheel drive the 4X4 light doesnt come on.

Quick check for the light itself--could be a bulb out--apply vacuum to the vacuum/electrical switch and check if the light comes on.

Here is a link to JP Magazine on the D30 CAD axle and some "options": http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...154_0904_dana_30_vacume_disconnect/index.html

Link to axle vacuum test procedure, see my post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980642

ok so i plugged in the vaccum line conected to the axle and i now get a part time light that comes on when i go into 4 wheel drive

Ok, now you need to follow the test procedures to figure out why the axle isn't engaging, link in my earlier post, or bypass the disconnect as in the JP Magazine article linked above.

Good luck.

Back