• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping stock axles for stock axles.

JJOFOZ

NAXJA Forum User
First post
I plan to swap the stock axles from my 94 xj 4.0 5spd for stock axles from a 99 4.0 auto.
why

gears 3.07 to 3.55
wear 100k less miles and 5 less years
upgrade better u joints up front and stronger 29 spline rear axles
maintenence my current front axle needs a right ujoint and brakes.
I also plan on swaping all the links shocks and springs.

total cost 200 bucks parts plus time

any thoughts on why I should or should not do the swap?

thanks in advance for the input

what size tires are you running? 3.07 -> 3.55 isn't going to be a huge difference.

also be sure to check if the 99 has cast or composite rotors, as the unit bearing are different

also be sure to check if the 99 has cast or composite rotors, as the unit bearing are different

But if he swaps the axle intact, it'll all match.

Just have to remember when you get new rotors or bearings in the future, you need 99 parts.

Also, with the new gears, your speedo will be off ~15% unless you swap out the gear in the t-case.

Robert

I am currently running 29s and will be until I find some 31s cheap.
If I have done my math right by going from 3.07 to 3.55 I would have to run roughly 33s to keep the spedo the same

I think my xj shipped with 225/75/15 tires and 3.07 gears.

I will have the vin of the xj the axles come from.

I never plan to run anything bigger than a 33 on this xj.

FOZ

might as well wait it out for some 410 axle gearing. Think most 4 bangers had d35's but that will be fine for 31's. when you go to 33's grab a ford explorer 8.8 with 4.10's. Compared to swapping it into a TJ, its a simple swap... just need sprung over mounts.

Sounds like a good plan to me, 3.55s are very common so you can find em easy. At least around here, 4.10 geared axles are more difficult to come by and most of them are in rough shape, every single one I've seen (including one I bought) had at the very least bagged pinion bearings. 3.55s with a standard will be approximately stock ratio for 32s or so, kinda like 4.10s with an auto, remember rolling resistance and tire weight will affect the way it drives as well so 30s-31s will probably "feel" stock.

3.07 - 3.55 with 31s will put you back at factory specs for gearing, or at least very close. I run the same setup in my 98. As mentioned, you will need to change out the speedo gear in your transfer case to complete the swap.

I had 3.55's in my 89 5spd. Ran 33's on it and it did great. 5th gear was pretty much useless, even on the freeway. I rarely get on the freeway so it worked well for me.

Nope. 00 and 01 are the only LP years for the XJ, unless someone swapped one in. The TJ used the LP axle for the full model year range though, 97-whenever.

3.07 to 3.55 isn't a HUGE difference, but you'll still feel it... especially on tires that small.

I did this swap on my first XJ (on 33s). Totally worth it.
You've got no fab work to do, it's a direct swap, it's easy and cheap... I can't think of a reason not to.

My MJ had 3.55 axles/AX-15 and 31's when I bought it. THe speedometer was almst spot on and it drove stock, got 20+ on the highway. With the manual trans 3.55's are a good ratio for 31's for the street. I'd do 4.10s for a wheeling oriented rig.

I just got done swapping stock 4.56 geared axles in my 92 4.0 auto. They were out of an 84. I swapped the shafts out for the bigger u joints/ single pass side and put new balljoints u joints unit bearings brakes etc.

Swapping them out isn't hard at all. Good upgrade for the money; the 3.55s and better axle shafts will be worth 200 bucks

I got the rear swapped out but ran into a problem.
The new axle uses a different parkbrake setup.
Can I swap the park brake handle and cable from the donor jeep into mine?
I can really feel the deeper gears.

Back