• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE kit installation instructions

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing an AA SYE kit and my NP231 has vacuum tubes coming out of it, the kit eliminates this. Will the T-case still go into all the gears without these vacuum lines? What is their purpose and why are they there?

BASICS--Year/engine/transfer case/front axle?

The early XJs had a vacuum switch on the transfer case, its job was to direct vacuum to the vacuum disconnect D30 CAD axle. This axle was not used in the NP242 equipped XJs, but the vacuum switch was still there to send a vacuum signal to the passenger's side firewall to a vacuum/electrical switch, the converted electrical signal would go the 4x4 light in the instrument panel. Even after the D30 CAD axle was discontinued, 92+ regardless of the transfer case used, the vacuum switch to vacuum/electrical switch was retained until about 94-95, then it was strictly electrical.

my transfer case is from an 88 and I dont have the vacum disconnect any more and I could care less about the light. So I dont need to worry about the vaacum switch then?

Back