• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody know of a decent mechanic in the Whittier area?

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
Basically my MJ needs a new cam, the gear on it that drives the distributor is toast. No shop out here wants to touch it, I guess they have plenty of business. I am moving Back out to SoCal at the end of the month and figured I would just drag back with me instead of sell it here and lose all the money I invested. Does anyone here know of a good shop or person who could help me out for decent price? The truck drives but every once in awhile the gear slips and jumps time.

TIA,
Daniel

I've got a good guy in placentia, and a few naxja members who can do the job outside of him. PM me when you get in town.

(if you aren't a local, its about 12 miles from whittier)

I've got a good guy in placentia, and a few naxja members who can do the job outside of him. PM me when you get in town.

(if you aren't a local, its about 12 miles from whittier)
Hey Cal who's the guy in placentia?

I know where Placentia is, I'll let you guys know when i get out there.

We have a rule in socal, don't take your jeep to a mechanic there's too many of us too close to waste the money :D

Moving back for good or just stationed here for awhile?

I got a couple guys out in Riverside and Elsinore who could do it cheap. Those places, Highland included, may be pushing it. I could flat tow it though. And Grimm I do realize that there is a ton of comraderie in the SoCal chapter thats why I asked. lol

I have one more question for you guys , what cam would you recommend? I was looking at some of the Comp cam and lifter kits In the Summit catalog and there are a lot to choose from.

Depends what you plan to do and how much you want to spend. If you start talking about changing cams, you usually have to change the valve springs too (the oem springs bind..).

This is something I know a good bit about on the 4.0, and have done a *TON* of research on. Get in touch with me and we can sit down on the phone or in person and talk. You may find it to your benefit to pull the engine for a full rebuild, and take it to Russ Pottenger.. but then you have to ask .. why not stroke it? ;)

Hey Cal who's the guy in placentia?

Placentia Dr Mechanic
1810 N Placentia
Placentia
(714) 524-7460

Ask for Saied. He and I have been friends for 15+ years. Honest, reliable, and affordable. If I show up with you to drop the car off, it can get even more affordable. :) He's come out on a couple of wheeling trips with me, and I periodically go flying with him.

Full rebuild/stroker would be a great option, just have to see how the funds are when i get out there.

Are you looking for a good, honest mechanic in Whittier, or a inexpensive (spelled cheap) one.

No offense intended, just need to know first.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

I may have already found a guy who has done some rebuilds for friends of mine.

oof

another MJ in the area.

:D

Back