• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac fan

DubbyDoo

NAXJA Forum User
when does it actually come on and what triggers it a certain temp? does the coolant temp sensor affect it?

BASICS--Year/engine/etc.

Depends on the year. There is either an aux fan switch mounted in the radiator, or a dual purpose CTS in the thermostat housing. Depending in the year, the aux fan either runs anytime the a/c is on or it is entirely controlled by the PCM. Different years have different temperature thresholds in the sensors depending on where they are physically located in the cooling system.

Ok, 94 means the CTS in the thermostat housing provides data to the PCM, the PCM controls aux fan operation based in its pre-programmed routines. I think, but not sure, that about 217 degrees and the PCM turns the aux fan on. I'm not 100 percent, but I believe on your 94 the aux fan still runs anytime the a/c is turned on.

yea it comes on with the ac and when i cut the defrost on is there any cons to doing an aftermarket temp switch set at say 200 degree?

well this is what im considering is switching out the ac fan with a new slim line and hooking that to a temp switch then hook a 7 inch fan to the ac plug to run as a my ac fan which would be on the front side of the rad right behind the grill

I want some of that overcooling the engine...

It might help if you told us what your problem is and what you are trying to accomplish.

I assume that you are referring to the auxiliary electric fan as the "ac fan". I added an aftermarket temp switch (Hayden with a radiator probe) to my '93 about four years ago but wired it in parallel with the existing wiring so the fan still comes on whenever the ac is on. Works fine.

Back