• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Torx bolt pulling motor

AJBob

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0 liter 6, auto trans, 4x4
Was pulling motor, lowered transmission to get to 2 torx bolts on bell housing and stripped one, does anyone have ideas for getting it off?

Bashed some 6-point sockets onto mine when they stripped.

It sucked. Make sure to get some standard hex heads for those when you replace it.

If you can get close enought to it, weld a nut on the head of the torx bolt, then wrench it off. If not, you could try to grind the head off the torx bolt, then remove what's left of the bolt shaft once you have the tranny removed.

Just brain storming.....

I would try MopaManic's suggestion first, and if that doesn't work try Ivan's ideas.

Great place to use that new Dremel tool you got for Father's Day!

happened to me a few months ago... burned em out. watch the censor on the top driver side trans, it was 80 bucks. crank sensor if memory serves...

We got in there with a dremel and ground it off in like 10 minutes.

Be careful not to bugger up the bellhousing. We tried ever suggestion here and still had to resort to this.

The best part: Once we got the two seperated the offending bolt was less than hand tight lol.

2000 XJ, 4.0 liter 6, auto trans, 4x4
Was pulling motor, lowered transmission to get to 2 torx bolts on bell housing and stripped one, does anyone have ideas for getting it off?
I like Ivan and Colin's ideas. We tried a 10mm (I think) 6pt on one last weekend and because of the angle it did not stay long.

We got in there with a dremel and ground it off in like 10 minutes.

Be careful not to bugger up the bellhousing. We tried ever suggestion here and still had to resort to this.

The best part: Once we got the two seperated the offending bolt was less than hand tight lol.
Yep, it's not in there very good. My suggestion would be to cut through the head about 1/32" out from the transmission bellhousing, then slowly grind it down till you can see the thin metal of what's left of the head discoloring from the heat, BUT the center where the shaft is staying the same silver color. This indicates that the metal is now thin enough that you can probably jam a screwdriver between the bellhousing and engine and break the rest of the head off with no damage to the bellhousing.

Back