• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a 2nd rear seat in an XJ

Mudweiserjeep

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of years ago I saw in a catalog a seat that was advertised as a add a seat for XJ's. It fit in behind the rear set. I have 6 in my family and I can't fit everyone in the jeep. I would like to add a seat but I can't find any seats anywhere. I can't remember who had the one I saw.
I am thinking of taking the fold and tumble out of my CJ5. Width ways it will fit.
Has anyone added a 2nd rear seat to an XJ? Any pictures?

Thanks

I've seen it done in a ZJ, so I'm sure it could be done in an XJ too. The guy used a YJ back seat and just fabbed up some simple mounts. I should point out though, that it won't seat an adult any way you slice it, and you'll have to remove the spare to fit the seat. You'll also be losing your storage space. If you do this, I'm sure there are a few parents of young ones who'd be interested in seeing the buildup...

Where do ya live, I have an extra back seat, both parts, if you wanna rig up somethin

I came across such a seat in a Suburban... I guess the factory 9 person capacity just wasn't enough. Anyway, these aftermarket seats for various vehicles are available through JCWhitney and possibly other suppliers.

I have a Bestop seat in my 2000 XJ. It was meant for a ZJ, Blazer, or explorer I think. It has been several years years, but I think I used the ZJ brackets. I used several large thick washers that came in the bracket kit and sealed everthing. It works well, but you do not have any storage room with the kids in it and anyone older than seven will not fit safely. The seat removes with two lock pins and is very stable. I'm sure you want pics, but it will be several days.

Angus

does anyone actually have pictures of an extra seat mounted in the back? is it rear facing or forward facing? I've been thinking about getting a retired m101 or m105 army trailer so that i could fit more passengers and this would definately do the trick.

Put one in last week, as I ended up being the "school bus" for the local wheeling bunch ( we try to stay family based, so even the little ones ride). I will take some pix, but it maybe later today before i get them posted, as I am NOT a computer guy. The seat is forward facing, to keep the kids braced if I roll back, or God forbid, I get hit by somebody. (plus the kids seem to like seeing where we are going, not just where we've been.) I mounted the rear seat from an old CJ in the back, using the front mounts the came with it, and the back part is held down by studs that go into the seat base, through a simple spacer, then have nuts attached to the studs. The seat belts are bolted to the floor, with reinforcing plates top and bottom. The worst part of this was having to drop the tank to put in the seat belts with good solid mount points.

Pm IH8RDS he did that to his XJ years ago

This is a seat out of a YJ

HPIM0510.JPG

HPIM0511.JPG

HPIM0512.JPG

HPIM0515.JPG

IH8RDS said:
This is a seat out of a YJ

HPIM0510.JPG

HPIM0511.JPG

HPIM0512.JPG

HPIM0515.JPG

That looks like a CJ or a YJ rear seat.. If I needed more seats, I would try and fab a YJ rear seat to make it work. The way it is now, I don't have any kids and my wife rarely goes with me off-roading.. :(

Oh Well.. Life Goes On... :wave:

Elias
Pronounced Eh-lee-us
Or Just call me "E"

Whatever.....

It is a YJ seat. I haven't had it in there for about a year and a half because I bought a Suburban. I have to fab up a bracket for the back to secure it to before I use it again. Just waiting for the tank to be empty in conjunction with a weekend. I'm going to Crozet in February so it will be done by then.

If the back isn't secure it will just be a launching pad.

I wish my pics worked but my seat is very similar by bestop. The brackets are way beefier, but also are sometimes in the way of a flat floor. I also mounted my seat facing backwards. Praytell I get rear ended I did not want a little ones head hitting the rear glass.

Angus

IH8RDS said:
It is a YJ seat.
DOH.. I was half asleep when I replied last night and didn't see that you said " This is a seat out of a YJ"

:wierd:

Elias
Pronounced Eh-lee-us
Or Just call me "E"

Whatever.....

Back