• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC questions.

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I bought one of those DIY recharge kits. I did what the can told me and let it run for 3 minutes with the AC on high. The compressor kicked on and off like its supposed to then I checked the pressure. According to the can it should have been between 45-55. Sure enough it was. Its not blowing cold though. What could be causing this? Surely if it was leaking the pressure would be much lower if any. I don't have much experience with AC systems.

I bought one of those DIY recharge kits. I did what the can told me and let it run for 3 minutes with the AC on high. The compressor kicked on and off like its supposed to then I checked the pressure. According to the can it should have been between 45-55. Sure enough it was. Its not blowing cold though. What could be causing this? Surely if it was leaking the pressure would be much lower if any. I don't have much experience with AC systems.

Would you trust a compression tester or a fuel pressure tester that utilized a gauge the cost under $.03 to make? Get a proper gauge set that has low pressure AND high pressure readings.

Always good to give the BASICS--year/engine/etc.

Could be any number of things, including a blend door problem.

I have to agree with the others. Find a good shop in your area to fix it. Your other option is to get on Google and start searching auto a/c systems, you can probably self-teach the necessary information, but you are still going to need a good set of gauges.

how long has it been broken?
Have you considered a new expansion valve or accumulator?
If you dont know what hese things are, i wouldnt suggest that you fool with the A/C anymore.

Gee.......thanks for the advice! :rolleyes: I understand the system and how to work on my rig. I really expected it to just need topped off but no such luck. I have done the same thing on a camaro before and it worked great. Its obviously not leaking so I can rule that out. I have a buddy who can fix it at the local Chrysler dealership but thought I would ask. Joe, I totally spaced it. My jeep is a 97 4.0 AW4. The kit was only 20 bucks so I'm not out a lot of cash. It worked fine in March when I got my front windows tinted. I tried to turn it on about a month ago and it didn't get cold. If its too much to fix.......hello OBA, I don't use it much anyways.

Last edited:
Check my sig :roflmao:

Its going in on Saturday for a Radiator flush i will have my buddy check out the AC too. I might get back to you on those parts.

According to the can it should have been between 45-55. Sure enough it was.

I'm wondering if some of that pressure that you're seeing is air and not refrigerant. As you've already got the recharge kit, see if your friend will just evacuate the system. If it holds the vacuum (sounds like it should), charge it up and see if it cools.

I'm wondering if some of that pressure that you're seeing is air and not refrigerant. As you've already got the recharge kit, see if your friend will just evacuate the system. If it holds the vacuum (sounds like it should), charge it up and see if it cools.

Thats what I was thinking. He works at a dealership so I am sure it won't be a problem for him to evacuate it and fill er up with refrigerant.

Worth a shot, right?

Yep, he's only charging me $20 to flush the radiator using the flush machine they have so I figure I'll throw him another 20 to attempt to get the AC going.

Yeah turns out that I'm a tard and it just needed to put more refrigerant in it. Oh well it works now.

Back