• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88XJ: AW4 Park-Lock Cable - AW4 to AX15 Swap

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm making the final changes for converting my 88 XJ to an AX15. The AW4 park-lock cable has me a little confused and I wanted to see if anyone here could explain the function of the park-lock cable to me.

Removing the park-lock cable can easily be performed by dropping the steering column. What concerns me is, "Will the absence of the 'signal' generated by the park-lock cable create a starting problem for the XJ with the AX15?"

The interaction between the park position for the AW4 gear selector and the gear selector handle release button is explained well in the FSM I have for the vehicle. However, being completely void of knowledge regarding automatic transmissions has me concerned if the FSM discussion covers the complete story regarding the park position and the ignition lock position.

I think the park-lock cable tells the ecu (tcu or, both of these controllers) that it is okay to engage the starter when the ignition key is rotated to start. If the default location for the park-lock cable linkage on the column is a position permitting the starter to engage I should have no issues.

Please advise...I need the help.

Rick

The only thing the Park Lock Cable does is mechanical and it prevents removing the key from the lock cylinder unless the transmission is physically in park. The Park Lock Cable has no "electrics" nor does it provide any input to the PCM/ECU or the TCU.

Park Lock Cable has no effect on the ability to crank or start, just can't remove the key.

Joe,

Thanks for your prompt response. I was hoping you would be able to read my post and reply as I have seen your contributions in this topic area before.

Rick

Don't forget--I function under the rule that even a broken clock is right twice a day! LOL!

Good luck.

Back