• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Install Rear Tow Hook?

Mihogan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Just wondering if anybody had a write up or instructions on how to install a rear tow hook on the driver's side of my Cherokee. Using an OEM bracket, like in this pic I found online...

Reartowhook.jpg

:flame::flame::flame: :flame:
HPIM0173.jpg

Purchase a nut-strip (called a frame reinforcement in the factory parts listing) for use inside the frame rail and make a bolt plate for the 2 bolts in the rear cross member. Use Grade 5 or better hardware.

standard.jpg

Just remember that set-up is for Towing(as in a towing co to put it on a trailer).Its totally not meant for serious 4X4 recovery!

So wait, I do need a nut strip in there for this to work?

And don't worry, I don't do any serious offroading. Just there as some kind of recovery just in case.

Yes, because of the unit body structure. All sheet metal, all the time. No heavy frame to bolt things to.

Just my opinion. Find a factory hitch, you don't ever need to tow anything with it, but the mounting is much stronger. You already have a pass. side nut strip on a 2000. There are lots of uses besides very light duty "recovery".
I have one on the '96 4 cyl. 2 wd. It's saved the bumper going down steep drop offs. I've carried a moped, dresser and soon a very tiny trailer on one of those hitch mount shelves, very handy.

Just my opinion. Find a factory hitch, you don't ever need to tow anything with it, but the mounting is much stronger. You already have a pass. side nut strip on a 2000. There are lots of uses besides very light duty "recovery".
I have one on the '96 4 cyl. 2 wd. It's saved the bumper going down steep drop offs. I've carried a moped, dresser and soon a very tiny trailer on one of those hitch mount shelves, very handy.

I would love a hitch but I can't find one cheap enough. Moneys tough right now. Not only am I saving for my Jeep, but for my drumset, college, and clothes, so I can't afford to pay for a hitch. $30 for a hook and bracket doesnt seem bad to me.

The most I've paid is $50- and I've seen NAXJA members selling them with nut strips after they have upgraded bumpers. The one on the '89 came off a friends '98 for $20-. I could have had the nut strip also if I would have wanted to R & R the bumper to get it.

I would love a hitch but I can't find one cheap enough. Moneys tough right now. Not only am I saving for my Jeep, but for my drumset, college, and clothes, so I can't afford to pay for a hitch. $30 for a hook and bracket doesnt seem bad to me.

Hit up the junk yard!

If money is that tight you should reconsider offroading, at least anywhere that you can get stuck. What happens when you break your exhaust or something on a rock or get mud in your alternator?

If money is that tight you should reconsider offroading, at least anywhere that you can get stuck. What happens when you break your exhaust or something on a rock or get mud in your alternator?

I totally agree dude, but you can't keep me away from the sport! And please remember, I'm not doing extreme offroading, not by a long shot. Mostly just trail roaming, ripping up fields, and runnin through little mud pits. But I want to have that back up plan, of knowing that if I get stuck - or if any of my friends get stuck - I do have that hook, or hitch, or shackle, to be able to get us back home! haha.

I offroad with a bunch of vehicles, from Jeep Wranglers, to Chevy Blazers, to even Subaru Outbacks haha. So I've seen it all, and I'd like to have the opportunity to help them just like some of them have helped me

I totally agree dude, but you can't keep me away from the sport! And please remember, I'm not doing extreme offroading, not by a long shot. Mostly just trail roaming, ripping up fields, and runnin through little mud pits. But I want to have that back up plan, of knowing that if I get stuck - or if any of my friends get stuck - I do have that hook, or hitch, or shackle, to be able to get us back home! haha.

I offroad with a bunch of vehicles, from Jeep Wranglers, to Chevy Blazers, to even Subaru Outbacks haha. So I've seen it all, and I'd like to have the opportunity to help them just like some of them have helped me

Grant it, I wouldn't use this set up to pull the dead weight of a XJ up a near vertical ravine; but it does server the function the original poster has in mind for. When used in conjuntion with the nut strip, it's a factory designed recovery point; which is better than nothing.

I've got one and have used it on various occasions. It's worked fine as it was designed to....

Grant it, I wouldn't use this set up to pull the dead weight of a XJ up a near vertical ravine; but it does server the function the original poster has in mind for. When used in conjuntion with the nut strip, it's a factory designed recovery point; which is better than nothing.

I've got one and have used it on various occasions. It's worked fine as it was designed to....

Thank you, finally some peace of mind haha

Back