• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Argh!!! why? WHY???? - back hatch stuck!

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
got some serious rain yesterday evening, then froze last night.
This morning the doors wouldn't unlock with the remote but I did get the keys to open the door, but not the hatch. Now I think the linkage broke inside the hatch mechanism because it tried to open but was frozen.

Is there ANY way to get the hatch open when the mechanism is broken?

thanks for the advice, but i think it's more than that. i did heat it up with a torch and I was able to get the key in and turn it both left and right, and push the button in, but it still won't release.

i heard of this happening before. if its still stuck, you could have someone push (read kick/stomp) on the lift gate from the inside while you try opening from the outside. this works good for when the latch wont completely disengage. then take the interior trim off and spray with a water displacing lube like WD-40.

you could also have water forming to ice and bonding the liftgate to the body of the vehicle. not to entirely sure how to fix that. take the following with a grain of salt as its just an idea i had pop into my head. you could check the weather stripping to ensure its not damaged. then clean the mating surfaces of the lift gate, weather strip, and body. now we have to figure out what would keep water from freezing and bonding it together. would a light grease work or a wax? dont know, as i havent been in that situation yet. but like i said, im talking out of my @$$ here.

i wonder if anything i said will help

I got it open. I parked with the hatch facing the sun all morning - yes it was a beautiful morning - and it just popped open.
When it was stuck it opened about 1/8 inch and then you could hear and feel the latch catching. I guess I hadn't heated it up deep enough before.

Thanks for tips

Now I can take the winter rims down to get new winter tires put on - that is going to look so girly with stock size tires....but at least I'll stick to the roads.

Back