• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control Question

Does anyone know what the resistance differences are in the CC controls between a 98 and a 99? I have put the 99 CC controls in and am attempting to figure out why they are not working properly.

Thanks!

Did you try and mix-match 98 and 99 parts?

The 98 did not have CC on it. I pulled the controls, clock spring and servo from our handy pull and pay in an effort to add it to the heep. Consenses here was that the mod for a 97 up is plug and play.

Maybe not...

My manual only shows that there a resisters in the set, cancel, coast and accelerate buttons. The power button is a straight through switch.

Update.
1. Checked with Jeep, 98 up all use the same switches. Good so far.
2. Resistance of the switch segments:
Off/On = 500 Ohms
Set = 7K Ohms
Resume/Accel = 15K Ohms
Cancel = 1.2K Ohms
Coast = 2.9K Ohms
3. Per Jeep, the PCM is the same with/without CC.
4. Lousy Haynes manual does a poor job of identifying the contacts at the PCM.

I could use some help so as to avoid the Stealship looking at it...

Update,
As per Jeep, the 97-01 switches have the same p/n, I went back tp you pull and pay to grab another set of switches. According to the schematic, the circuit should be open without any switches depressed. As I had a residual resistance, I assumed the JY switches to be bad. Took my Fluke 87 with me and confirmed the open circuit state of the donor XJ. Snagged these and installed them. The system now not only arms, but controls as well. Oh, I also snagged an Air Bag to replace the original one I hacked to fit...

97-98 and 99-01 are different. The part number is the same except for the revision code, which the parts counter troll is probably ignoring. This is one of the few times I've ever seen a revision code indicate a difference that is not backward compatible.

Kastein, right on bout the switches, they do not have the same resistance...

1. Installed a set of switches from a 98. System arms, but will not engage.
2. Adjusted Brake light switch. System arems, no Joy.
3. Verified all wiring to the Servo, all bood including the ground. Still no Joy.
4. Verified operation of solenoids in the Servo. With the connection to the TB disconnected, the airbag in the the servo will move when manually commanded, i.e. solenoids jumped (Black to ground, blue/red to Pos and tan/red to ground), system disconnected from the PCM. All good there, no Joy.
5. Verified vacuum level at the servo. Only 17 inHg. Remember that I am at ~7k, Best possible on a zero loss system would be 23 inHg (accepting the 1inHg/1k Altitude loss ratio due to air density)
6. Have ran through the vacuum connections.
7. Even tried a different PCM just in case the Stealship fibbed about those being the same. Used the one out of the swich donor vehicle. By the way, same part number as the original in my XJ...

Anyone know what the minimum vacuum level is for the system to operate? Near as I can tell, all the electrical is good.

Back