• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to cut off my roof.

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
Can you cut a massive hole in the roof of a 2000 cherokee, or two smaller ones, and have it still be structurally sound? I want to put like a canvas roof or whatever it is, in its place. Do they make things like that even?

Thanks

Cutting any significant portion out of the roof without reinforcement would be a mistake. The uni-body design uses the entire body for structural support. If you double walled the roof around the hole it may help. My suggestion is to install a roll cage before cutting into a roof. Also, I have never heard of anyone making a canvas roof for a Cherokee. Likely an upholstery shop could build a custom one.

that would be awesome if you reinforced your jeep enough to cut out a big rectangle in the roof. then get some heavy duty canvas and secure it with snaps all the way around.

Search, I believe it has been done.

That's a member's former Jeep. He sold it to another member who then went fully topless. :D

Tony's was done as a feature in JP Magazine, IIRC. Tony's main complaint was the heat of the sun beating down on you with a completely open roof was nearly unbearable, but he was mainly chasing for desert race teams (and still is) at 100°+ temps. I think he also had some complaints about losing some rigidity due to removing the cross braces in the roof. In order to do it right I would think you would need to reinforce the areas around the holes similar to factory sunroofs in other vehicles. if you just wanted to make a couple big holes without cutting out the cross braces though I can't see how it would affect the strength of the unibody :dunno:

I don't think so..But they now make them for the new jeeps..By the way, post a pic of yours...

as you wish...
IMG_0623.jpg

it'll fold like a taco......:laugh3:

as you wish...
IMG_0623.jpg

it'll fold like a taco......:laugh3:

So, no problem structurally? I have a rock hard cage and I seriously want to do this now because my AC is bye bye in favor of OBA.

So, no problem structurally? I have a rock hard cage and I seriously want to do this now because my AC is bye bye in favor of OBA.

If you have a cage why Are you worried abiout that flimsy ass roof panel not being structurally sound? You are good to go now that its caged, as long as its tied in to the unibody.

Back