• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Fill Cap Stuck

Use a screwdriver to pop the top of the cap off then use some large slip-joint pliers to turn it. Then replace it.

What do you mean "oil" cap? I don't have one of those, only a 710 cap... are they the same thing??? Maybe this is why the gravy boat on my dashboard keeps lighting up??

slip-joint pliers are your best bet like menos said, we used to keep oil caps for jeeps in the emergency parts bin at the quicklube I worked at because the plastic ratchet pawls tend to break at the wrong moment sometimes.

Er, if you are trying to take it off while the engine is hot...it may do what you described. If you wait until it is cold, it may come off normally.

My '00 does that...even a new oil cap didn't help...

Mine broke a while ago. I got a non-click one piece type from Advanced Auto made by Stant.

Same here, I got a non-click type and just snug it down. My click one just broke, the plastic clips inside failed. I used the screwdriver / plier combo to get it off no problem.

Take the top of the cap off so you can see the little spring, then take it inside and put some epoxy in there then put the cap back on, it won't click in either direction anymore. It will turn it into a one piece cap. Silly freaking cap.

Last edited:
Take the top of the cap off so you can see the little spring, then take it inside and put some epoxy in there then put the cap back on, it won't click in either direction anymore. It will turn it into a one piece cap. Silly freaking cap.

I assume they did the click style to keep people from over tightening them...

Mostly it seems to keep me from over loosening them.

Back