• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling NP242 for dummies... writeup needed

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
I can get a 242 for free but it's 2000km from here and i have to send someone to pull it who have never done anything like this before.

Could anyone be bothered to give me a quick runthrough of the process, preferrably with tool sizes, numbers of bolts etc. ?

It's a '89 XJ with a 4.0 and auto if that matters.

Also : will i need the driveshafts if i decide to use the 242 instead of my old 231? Any other parts need to be pulled while we're under there?

I searched but could not find anything this basic. Would be a snap if i could do it myself but that's not an option

Sorry for the dumba$$ newbie question.. :viking:

Disconnect the drive shafts and any wire plugs. Disconnect the 4x4 shifter mechanism. Lower the transfer case and then support the engine/transmission and remove the cross member. Remove 6 metric nuts on the T-case. Gently pull or pry on the T-case until it begins to separate from the trans. Have an old tire or a pile of flattened cardboard boxes underneath for the T-case to land on. Give the T-case a strong pull and it will separate from the trans and land on the cushion.

An assortment of metric tools is needed, 6 point sockets, extensions, wobble adapter, box end wrenches, and a stubby box end wrench for the one bolt on the passenger side. Pry bar and assorted other hand tools.

Thanks guys.
One question tho, i am after all foreign : Could you be more specific about the shifter gate?
Might be i'm not thinking the same thing as you...

Back