• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble installing 8.25 Lockright

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
This is getting old.. my first Lockright install in an 8.25. Done several in 30's, 44's and 35's. Looks like the inner spacer was redesigned with a tab on it?

I have the drivers side axleshaft in, c-clip set. When i install the drive gear/spacer assembly the spacer assembly protrudes just a tad beyond the driver gear. Enough that dropping the passenger side drive gear wont set down and in.

Anyone had this issue? I'm thinking that the spacers tab wasnt lining up correctly and causing my issue.. many attempts at this and i'm not sure that the case any longer.

Anyone know a good writeup with pics? I cant seem to locate any.

BTW.. stock gears and no issue getting crosspin out.

Just helped a friend do this install a couple weeks ago. We had the same problem where the spacer inside the drive gear was not sitting in flush like it should. We found that the c-clip had fallen out of the groove and was not allowing the spacer to push all the way over it. The c-clip has to be fully seated to get the spacer to slide in all the way. If it is un-seated just a little bit it will get in the way. Hope that helps.

I thought of that, and tried assembling better than a dozen times with no change.

I put the entire locker together in my hand... just to see if the inner spacer sits flush to the drive gear. It does not even when the tab and voids are lined up correctly. So i cant see the c-clip being the issue.

The thickness it sits out is roughly identical to the thickness of the thrust washer behind side gear...

This housing came to me with just the carrier and ring/pinion installed. I'm using shafts,brakes and thrust washers from another housing. Are all 8.25 thrust washers the same thickness?

Thought i'd throw a few pics up and see if that helps with input.

You can see the spacer out beyond the drive gear in this pic.

TREKKR022.jpg

Heres the assembly out of the carrier (to eliminate the c-clip not positioned right) showing the same issue.

TREKKR026.jpg

I tried laying the spacer in over the c-clip makind sure the tab and void lined up.

TREKKR027.jpg

And then the drive gear... still no change.

TREKKR025.jpg

And still cant slide the other half down into position.

TREKKR023.jpg

Anyone? I'm about to install spider gears and throw the axle under the rig. But i'm trying to help out a Jeeper who only has one leg and cant do this work himself.

Learned something recently... not all 8.25 thrust washers are the same thickness.

When you order a pair of them you get several pairs in different, stamp-coded thicknesses.

See this thread - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1037091 - first part number I gave is correct, verified by Wayne and installed successfully by muddeprived.

Learned something recently... not all 8.25 thrust washers are the same thickness.

When you order a pair of them you get several pairs in different, stamp-coded thicknesses.

See this thread - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1037091 - first part number I gave is correct, verified by Wayne and installed successfully by muddeprived.
Spacers would have no effect on this.Gotta be a bad locker!
TREKKR026.jpg

Spacers would have no effect on this.Gotta be a bad locker!

That hadnt occured to me.. seriously. I should have decided to call Richmonds Tech line earlier.. their closed at 4pm.

Just got off the phone with the owner, he's gonna swing by and drop off the thrust washers that were original to this carrier.. i'm using ones from another axle. Just to mic them and eliminate that possibility.

Now what i'm thinking.. if i were to install thrust washers 1/2 the thickness of the ones i have i might be able to drop the other half in. But then i'm concerned i wont have the proper tolerances on the locker and unpredictable operation or even failure.

I'll call Richmond in the am.

Have you checked them left-to-right to see if they are a matching set(pair)?

It looks to me that you have a powertrax no-slip not a lock-right.
If you have 29 spline axles it maybe a no-slip because richmond donen't list a lock-right for a 29 spline-only a 27 spline.
If it is a no-slip then your problem is the thrust washers. The side gear trust washers are not installed with the no-slip.
This is also true for a d30-lock-right uses side gear thrust washers and the no-slip does not.
Hope this helps.

Have you checked them left-to-right to see if they are a matching set(pair)?

Stamped numbers match, with the exception of one side having a -1. I assume it's the marking for the non c-clip window side. I have lefts on drivers side and the clip window on pass side.

Everything mates cleanly in hand or workbench. Just too wide to drop down into carrier.

It looks to me that you have a powertrax no-slip not a lock-right.
If you have 29 spline axles it maybe a no-slip because richmond donen't list a lock-right for a 29 spline-only a 27 spline.
If it is a no-slip then your problem is the thrust washers. The side gear trust washers are not installed with the no-slip.
This is also true for a d30-lock-right uses side gear thrust washers and the no-slip does not.
Hope this helps.

It's a 27 spline 8.25, locker bought new and directions state it's a Lock-right. Directions suck BTW... all text zero pics.

I'll ask Richmond if it is indeed a Powertrax.. thanks for the lead. That would also explain why i'v never seen this style lock-right..

27 sp lock-right-part #1230
27 sp no-slip open diff-part #92-0382-2705

Just got off the phone with the owner of this rig. Turns out he bought this locker from someone who never installed it. Doesnt have the original box (was in ziplock) and he printed the directions off the net thinking it was a lockright.

Just did some googling for images. I think this is a no-spin... and i'm missing a few springs as well.

I'll call Richmond in morning and give them markings on this unit to ID.

Thanks for the input guys, i wasted alot of time today..

There is a "window" where the tabs on the active spacer need to line up in, inorder for the parts to fit into the carrier. I messed up re-intalling mine and ended up breaking the tab off.

The tabs in the 6:13pm picture should be sitting further in

DSC_5194.jpg

if the tabs do not sit in the window like the part on the right, you get the part on the left :( I learned the hard way

I made sure the tab sat in the void (window as you called it) and i still have the issue.

Richmond's tech line doesnt answer till 10am Houston time, figure once we verify that the thrust washers are not used with this locker i'll be able to start moving again..

Thanks for the input.

Just got off the phone with the owner of this rig. Turns out he bought this locker from someone who never installed it. Doesnt have the original box (was in ziplock) and he printed the directions off the net thinking it was a lockright.

Just did some googling for images. I think this is a no-spin... and i'm missing a few springs as well.

I'll call Richmond in morning and give them markings on this unit to ID.

Thanks for the input guys, i wasted alot of time today..

Yeah, definately not a LockRight for the 27 spline open diff. The drivers look completely different. I remember the markings on the driver for the Model #1230 (27 spline 8.25 open) being "CAR". When I get home for lunch, I will post the markings on the side gear and spacer.

by the way...the lockright does require use of the thrust washers or it will not engage properly. Thickness does matter however...too thin and the locker won't engage...too thick and the locker will stay engaged without racheting through corners. I will see if I can post more detailed instructions from when Powertrax sold the lockright under their name.

Last edited:
While waiting for Richmond's techline to open i pulled the thrust washers and attempted assembly. Dropped right in..

I'm at the point to install the second c-clip then crosspin and springs (2?)

Richmonds site doesnt have install inst for this locker that i could find. I want to make sure it's right before i finish assembly.

I remember fighting the exact same problem. After messing with it for an hour or so it just dropped in place. I can't remember exactly what I did but I remember it was a pain to get it all lined up right.

Back