• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering Stabilizer = Death Wobble

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I put on a new RC steering stabilizer the other day to replace my stock one with 120,000 miles on it... and now I have some crazy death wobble at about 45. Why would I get death wobble after putting on a new heavy duty steering stabilizer?

What should I check next? My Track bar?

if its part of the front check it...TRE's loose control arm bolts and bent weels are just some of the things that can get ya DW...check it all...twice...then do it again

DW is an instability of a mechanical system that has a natural frequency of oscillation. Changing any part of the system can shift the frequency. A shift of one component can cause an oscillation in another component.

What you describe is very possible. Dampers do not cause or fix DW. DW is normally caused by a worn/loose/cracked component or mounting. It can be TREs on any of the joints, any of the bushings, including track bar and control arm bushings, or ball joints. I have even seen tires with a defective belt cause DW.

Double check for cracking on the frame rail where the steering gear mounts and the track bar bracket. Worn or oblonged holes can also cause problems.

The easiest way to troubleshoot is to crawl under the rig and have someone cycle the steering wheel back and forth while you watch each and every attachment point and joint for movement.

DW is an instability of a mechanical system that has a natural frequency of oscillation. Changing any part of the system can shift the frequency. A shift of one component can cause an oscillation in another component.

What you describe is very possible. Dampers do not cause or fix DW. DW is normally caused by a worn/loose/cracked component or mounting. It can be TREs on any of the joints, any of the bushings, including track bar and control arm bushings, or ball joints. I have even seen tires with a defective belt cause DW.

X1000,cant understand why so many people think a SS will fix DW.
This is a great new twist for those that think it does!

Double check for cracking on the frame rail where the steering gear mounts and the track bar bracket. Worn or oblonged holes can also cause problems.

The easiest way to troubleshoot is to crawl under the rig and have someone cycle the steering wheel back and forth while you watch each and every attachment point and joint for movement.

Yes, exactly!
Steering stabalizer is a poor term-Dampener is better.
The dampening effect is minimal!
First repair or replace ALL worn componets in the steering and suspension.
And as mentioned above-check steering gear mounting.
Then after the DW issue has been resolved-replace the dampener.

X1000,cant understand why so many people think a SS will fix DW.
This is a great new twist for those that think it does!

I know that a steering stabilizer doesnt fix DW.. All it does is cover it up.

I didn't have death wobble to begin with. So I am confused as to why switching from a worn out steering stabilizer to a brand spanking new heavy duty one would cause it to come back.

Old_man's post seems to clear quite a bit up though.

I know that a steering stabilizer doesnt fix DW.. All it does is cover it up.

I didn't have death wobble to begin with. So I am confused as to why switching from a worn out steering stabilizer to a brand spanking new heavy duty one would cause it to come back.

Old_man's post seems to clear quite a bit up though.

Think of it like this--you have a rickety barn that is leaning to the left and ready to fall over, so you pull it upright and reinforce the left side, which is fine until a wind storm hits the left side and the barn collapses over to the right. Clear?

By replacing one worn component you have aggravated another worn component. Crawl under there and determine what needs to be fixed, fix it, and then you can enjoy that new dampner.

Back