• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor swap

XJpax

NAXJA Forum User
I won't bore you all with details, my AC compressor died. I don't really need AC, but I do need to be able to drive. I let it go so long that the pulley seized and i can't drive it. Got the new compressor today, so here are my questions:

How do I detension/retension the serpentine belt?
I know this is a simple question, but I wanted to ask before I dive under it and play figure-it-out.
How do I safely disconnect the system? Keep in mind, I will within the month, take it to a place to have it recharged, etc, I just need it driveable now.

Thanks, any other helpful advise is VERY helpful

Year, engine, etc.?

Belt tension comes from the PS pulley. Three PS bolts + tensioner bolt on driver's side; perpendicular to frame.

Have the system evacuated by a licensed pro before disconnecting anything!

An option, depending on how flexible the hoses are.. (I don't remember on these off the top of my head) Unbolt the old compressor and swing it out of the way with hoses attached, then bungee it somewhere to keep it from flopping around. Then eventually when you have the cash take it to a shop and they will evacuate the system, move the hoses to the new compressor and recharge. And you're not dumping Freon into the atmosphere.

^Where would the belt go?

Swap in a junkyard pulley? It would let you keep the compressor in place and the AC system closed up, while allowing you to drive. You can usually borrow/rent (buy it, use it, return for full refund) a puller from the parts store.

^Where would the belt go?

Swap in a junkyard pulley? It would let you keep the compressor in place and the AC system closed up, while allowing you to drive. You can usually borrow/rent (buy it, use it, return for full refund) a puller from the parts store.

On the new compressor?

Back