• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Qustions looking for answers

DarksydeFAB

NAXJA Forum User
I was given a 95 YJ by a customer who had no use for it. The frame and tub are rotted beyond repair but the motor tranny and transfer case were all redone a few years back.

Question 1 is, Is it worth swapping the 231 into my xj, what issues will I run into and is there a strength advantage to doing this.

Question 2 I have a Dana 30 HP front and Dana 35 Rear. without doing an axle swap what would be my best option. stay 27 spline and run a tru trac in the the rear or do an axle upgrade then what locker should I look at? front im thinking of leaving open but doing the avle upgrade. Pro's and Con's of this

My current project is a 95 XJ 4.5" lift with 32" Copper STT built more as an expedition truck, camping, fishing once in awhile in the rocks, just want it to work. It will be my Daughters truck when she gets her license in Dec.

Thanks for the help with my questions

unless the yj has gearing or lockers? trash is trash.
and you're xj probably allready has a np231j t/c...

i dont see how this is an upgrade?

either way, welcome to the site!

sell as much as you can off the YJ. the T-case is clocked lower.

Any reason not to lock the front? It doesnt affect anything until 4wd is engaged (might be a good thing for a new driver)

If you have a D35 in your XJ then I wouldn't suggest spending any money on it. I would put an Aussie or a full case detroit (better option) in the front with some alloy shafts and start looking for a Chrysler 8.25 for the rear. Even if you have an 8.25 in the rear I would still lock the front first. As mentioned, you should already have a NP231 t-case or a NP 242, either way it's probably not worth swapping unless your t-case is shot.

I would NOT lock the front if your daughter will be driving it!
It is very difficult,if successfully,to control a front locked xj on icy roads.

I would NOT lock the front if your daughter will be driving it!
It is very difficult,if successfully,to control a front locked xj on icy roads.

what locker should I look at? Front im thinking of leaving open but doing the axle upgrade. Pro's and Con's of this

Back