• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craziest Oil Leak You Will Hear Of!! DESCRIBED AS GOOD AS I CAN!!!!!

JoJoDaKilla

NAXJA Forum User
Okay let me begin with this. I got this 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 from a friend. I knew he had all of the vacuum lines replaced because it was running rough. Well it still ran a little rough even after they were replaced, before it had the garden hose going from the air box to the valve cover. So I got the Jeep and figured whatever it runs fine. Well after it warmed up and weather got nicer we took it off roading and afterwards I changed the oil and air filter. I noticed the oil on the air filter and heard it was normal so I put a new one in it about a month ago. So it was driven normal, then about 2 weeks ago a friend needed his harley hauled a pretty good distance so I did it. About 3 days later I noticed oil leaking from underneath it. Well as stumped as I was I couldnt find it at all, it was coming down and leaking off of the front differential. Soooo today I read some articles and figured I would look at the hoses and make sure everything on the valve cover was okay. I checked the air filter and it was DRENCHED in oil, and saw underneath the box where it was leaking oil from air filter box. Im missing the damn hose that is suppose to go on the back of the valve cover to the intake!!! DO I HAVE TO ORDER A WHOLE NEW VACUUM KIT TO GET THAT STUPID HOSE!!!!:flamemad::smsoap: Im not even sure where it connects too. Is that what is causing this oil to blow back into my air filter so bad that its causing it to leak???? Did the stupid dealership just forget to put this hose on?? I just picture them sittin there sayin "hey guys we got this extra hose here".. Please is there something I can do to fix this, its my daily driver!!!

I have heard (I have no clue if it is 100% true) that if the oil gallies get pluged up that the oil cannot get away quick enough and the valve cover can fill up causing oil to spill over into the air box.

stupid dealership? lol. more stupid previous owner.
when you take it apart, make sure the orifaces are clean, and that you can blow through the new hoses (they can be installed incorrectly, plugging itself)

you could ghetto rig it up, absolutely.

the EASY way is to buy the complete harness from napa though.

All the hoses are new, I'm just missing the ccv hose, I believe that's the one, that's in the back? Sorry I get confused and I'm so frustrated with it. Seriously though it was the dealerships doing. He was an older guy and just didn't know, and I didn't notice. Stupid current owner lol! You can see smoke coming out of it when it's hot and it's breathing juuust fine

junkyard will have some... but they tend to crack and in general be in bad shape.
maybe someone local to you has one they can hook you up with?

Your problem is the valve cover and CCV system.

Cruiser54 has posted up a mod to the Renix valve cover: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1026666

You need to make sure that the metered orifice in the rear of the valve cover is clear. You need to make sure that the vacuum line that runs from the orifice to the intake manifold port is clear. You need to make sure that the port in the intake manifold is clear.

The hose from the air box or air intake tube to the front of the valve cover provides clean filtered air. The "J" hose off the air box like to deteriorate over time, and then it will collapse and screw things up.

You can order a complete vacuum harness, it comes in two parts, from rockauto.com for about $17.99 each piece, plus shipping, or you can get both pieces from NAPA for about $23.99 each piece, no shipping.

I would also recommend that you start using a high detergent diesel motor oil, Shell Rotella 10w30 or 15w40 or equivalent.

Serous question though, will this stop it from happening if fixed?

This should cure 90 percent of XJs. If you have SERIOUS blow-by issues, then it MIGHT be necessary to add an oil "catch can" in the hose between the front of the VC and the air box/air tube. The majority just need the CCV system serviced and kept open--I used to check mine every oil change until I switched to Rotella, after a few changes I check it twice a year.

autozone sells all kinds of different size hoses, im pretty sure if your in need of a hose for a certain length they will sell you one fairly cheap

Junkyard or NAPA, otherwise just keep the oil full and stop caring about it, throw a new junkyard air filter in it every few weeks. Normally I'd say a junkyard air filter was pretty :gee: but when it's gonna be full of oil in a week or two who cares?

Check your compression if you're really worried about blowby. If it isn't blowby, your CCV system needs fixing for sure, in which case listen to Joe Peters, he knows what he is talking about.

If you have alot of sludge build up inside the valve cover the oil level can be too high and the CCV inhales it. I would pull the cover, keep a shop vac handy and a plastic scraper, work them together to clean the sludge out and don't let any of that crap get down the returns where the pushrods are. Clean the valve cover and reassemble it, put the hoses on and go from there. Times 2 on the high detergent oil, it will start cleaning the crud up, just keep an eye on the dipstick, when you can't read it anymore it's time to change the filter.

I have heard (I have no clue if it is 100% true) that if the oil gallies get pluged up that the oil cannot get away quick enough and the valve cover can fill up causing oil to spill over into the air box.

I had one just like that it was the older 1988 Modle it was sooo grungy inside the engine Woman OWNED the rear oil gallery had pluged 100 percent the front was down to about 20 left so on the highway or heavy running it would pump oil out the hoses to the box I took the Cover off used a dental pick pulled as much of the grunge out it was bad I took a coffy cup full of Crap out of the 4 ltr after that I ran a ltr of Dextron in the oil for a few days flushed it and it is still running a frend got that one Best thing on that jeep is the Engine and the 41/2 inch lift

Well to let everyone know I got the part I needed, and I also replaced the iac. It was completely seized with carbon I guess. So I need to pull the tps also. I changed the air filter and have been driving it for a few days now. No leaks but I'll check the filter later today to see if there's alot if oil or any at all.

Mmmmmm...sludge.

Back