• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks, no start, replace ignition coil?

geniusiknowit

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a 95 that has been sitting for at least 18 months. It had a bad fuel pump, which I replaced. Now the thing cranks, but won't start. I've got a new battery in there. Sounds like the fuel pump is working.
Not getting any spark. I'm trying to remove the coil, to swap in the one from my running 96 (though it probably won't be once i'm done with it).
I'm loosening the two screws on the bottom of the coil, but it seems like I've been turning them both forever and the unit isn't loosening up at all. One of the bolts turns freely, but won't come out. Am I messing with the wrong bolts?

Thanks

First, are you getting 12 volts to the coil from the ASD relay?

Second, have you tried unplugging/plugging the CPS/CKP crank sensor a few times to clean the contacts?

i chased this on and off for 2 years and it ended up being a faulty ASD relay, I never like agreeing with Joe but check that first

i chased this on and off for 2 years and it ended up being a faulty ASD relay, I never like agreeing with Joe but check that first

Same to you! LOL!

I'm loosening the two screws on the bottom of the coil, but it seems like I've been turning them both forever and the unit isn't loosening up at all. One of the bolts turns freely, but won't come out. Am I messing with the wrong bolts?

Thanks
Just a heads up, the bolts that run through the bottom of the coil have nuts on the back of them. I believe they are 10mm

Get a meter.

*Test the crank sensor for proper resistance values

*Test the coil if the crank sensor checks out and reseating connector doesn't help. The coil can be tested for primary/secondary resistances; should be able to do so without removing it.

Well I removed the coil. (For those have never removed this: The two bolts I was trying with weren't moving because as Red mentioned, they have nuts on the back, and were just spinning. There were two larger bolts right below, with ground wires on them that I had to remove instead. This is a bracket the coil is mounted on.)

I haven't swapped the coil or tested the relay or CPS yet. I'll try that first before I run off to the store for another coil.

Thanks again.

just swap your ac relay to your asd, takes 10 seconds

just swap your ac relay to your asd, takes 10 seconds

I never like agreeing with H8PVMT but do what he says. LOL!

I finally got around to messing with it again, and it was indeed the ASD Relay.
Thanks, Joe and H8PVMT!

Now that it's firing, the serpentine belt isn't turning. Something is seized up. The only pulley that's turning is the big one at the front bottom of the engine (crankshaft vibration damper?). Where would y'all suggest I start first?

Thanks

Well, might as well pull the belt completely off.

I don't think all of the belt driven accessories can seize up at the same time.

Try turning each of the accessories/idlers by hand, feel for bad bearings/wobbling/smoothness of turning. WP, PS, A/C, ALT, FAN, etc.

Post up what you find.

The alternator is the only pulley I can't turn by hand. That's the bad one, I guess?

Also, I noticed there seems to be some oil inside the air filter.

Yeah, they aren't in the best of places.

Man that was a :mad: to get off.
I'm not sure I can get the replacement back in.
It's easier if you pull the battery, battery box, and have an extra elbow or three installed at the hospital.

Never be afraid to pull/move other parts to get at something, so long as it doesn't result in expensive reassembly (head gasket, A/C system, etc)

Back