• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Separating Engine/Bellhousing...Is There A Better Way?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
All,

Getting these two components off the locating dowels is never easy. I thought I would post this topic to see if anyone has a smooth, sure fire method to easily separate the 4.0L block from the transmission bellhousing.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Rick

deadblow hammer, something in the 40oz range.
Whack it a few times and it will pop right off.

little PB blaster on the pins before anything else... by the time you are ready to separate, they slide right off.

To quote a signature I see in this thread... put your purse down and hammer it!

It may help if you unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate (if you have an auto), if there is a side load on the transmission input shaft the torque converter does not like to come out at all.

Watch out that you got every bolt. IIRC there is one hiding behind an aluminum ridge that you can't see. Also don't forget to remove the starter.

Unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate. 4 bolts.

On the bell housing there are the two large bolts at the left and right side of the bell housing then there are the two at the top. There are also two smaller bolts going from the aluminum plate to the bell housing that need to come out. After that use a pry bar.

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses; they helped confirm my earlier actions to remove a transmission were correct; it has been several years though. They are now both on the ground. The moral of the story is that this is a simple chore and only potentially risky; yank hard and support the transmission from underneath to avoid safety issues.

I greatly appreciated the comment regarding removing the four torque converter/ring gear bolts for the AW4. Having never owned a vehicle equipped with an automatic before made removal of the AW4 easier than the AX-15.

Have a good fourth!

Rick

Back