• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-fan is loud when A/C is turned on...

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I used the A/C for the first time today, and as soon as I turn on the AC, the e-fan makes my console vibrate and it sounds like poop. Once I got home and popped open the hood, I confirmed that the fan is the culprit of the noise, and it comes and goes as the fan cycles on and off when the A/C is in use.

I rarely use the A/C and and quite surprised that the fan is making so much noise. It's as if it's rubbing on the plastic edge somewhere, but I can't seem to be able to do anything to quiet it down.

Is my only option a replacement fan? If so, where is the best place to get a new one? Thanks for your help.

Mine is a '99. I don't know if I feel comfortable buying a used fan, especially since mine was used so rarely and still seems to have gone bad. What are my options for buying new?

Mine is a '99. I don't know if I feel comfortable buying a used fan, especially since mine was used so rarely and still seems to have gone bad. What are my options for buying new?

You do know that your e-fan goes on during the normal course of driving, even when the AC is not being used?

Nothing wrong with buying a used fan from a junkyard.

Buy one at the junkyard... bring a jump pack to test it before you buy.

RockAuto has brand new ones for anywhere from $60 to $120.

You could also solve the problem at hand by unplugging the fan. But I think that might cause other problems :)

First, is your fan making noise and vibration because the motor itself is going bad? Or is it because of something else?

Reason I ask...the 97-01 XJ had efans housings that mounted with both spring clip on plastic taps and two 8mm screw bolts. On my 00, one of the plastic taps on the bottom snapped off during removal and after reinstalling, it made some noise and vibration. The fan and motor itself worked fine, it was just that the houses wasn't fully secure because of that broken tab.

As plastic ages, it becomes brittle, so if you get an efan from a junkyard...just be aware.

Right now JB weld is holding mine in place...so far so good...

First, is your fan making noise and vibration because the motor itself is going bad? Or is it because of something else?

Reason I ask...the 97-01 XJ had efans housings that mounted with both spring clip on plastic taps and two 8mm screw bolts. On my 00, one of the plastic taps on the bottom snapped off during removal and after reinstalling, it made some noise and vibration. The fan and motor itself worked fine, it was just that the houses wasn't fully secure because of that broken tab.

That's a good question. First impression is that the motor itself is going bad, but I may just be jumping to conclusions. I may do some more investigative work on this one before ordering a new fan. It seems like it's pretty snug in there, but I'll check again. Thanks for the heads up.

First return above is GoJeep's site. Second is a list of NAXJA returns. If I'm searching for something technical, "site:naxja.org" is in the query anyway. :dunno:

My fan was rattling like crazy even though it felt tight...one of the plastic tabs on the bottom had broken off..a couple of zipties later everything is okee dokee..

So a little more investigating led to the diagnosis of what is causing the fan to rattle when it is turned on... the darn thing is cracked and coming apart. I'm thinking I want to replace it with new parts and not junkyard parts since they will most likely be older than the one I have on my '99.

I haven't had to remove this before, but I am assuming that it's a pretty straightforward job, right?

Why are you so against using a junkyard fan? If it works, then use it. The part literally takes less than two minutes to pull out and then put back in (I had to do it on the side of the road last Sunday), so it is not like it is a big hassle to replace again. There are two small screws at the top, unplug it, then remove/move the radiator overflow hose, and then pull the fan up.

After my fan cracked in my '99, I bought a replacement fan that was supposed to be an OEM replacement, but the fan was wider, which made it harder to put in and pull out (I've had to remove the fan quite a bit for various jobs) and it shook the jeep every time it turned on. I then took the original e-fan out of my second '99 I once I parted it out, and put that in my Jeep.

I want new, not used, parts on my XJ. Sue me. To each his own.

I want new, not used, parts on my XJ. Sue me. To each his own.

Just look before you buy. Many new parts are cheap imported junk that won't outlast 10 year old OEM stuff anyway. Like my Taiwan-made fan shroud that broke within months, after an accident claimed the original.

That's good advice. Thanks for the heads up.

Back