• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the UCA Axle Bushings on a 2WD??

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this? The mounting ears on the 4WD are solid pieces and replacing the bushings on these is a straightforward press job or even heat and beat. :D But on the 2WD axle, they are not solid; there are two sheet metal ears on ech side. The FSM calls for a special bearing press that has a spacer between the ears so they don't get bent, and says DO NOT attempt to press out the bushings w/o this tool for that reason. I have never replaced the front axle UCA bushings on a 2WD and have been putting this off, but need to replace the UCAs and bushings. Anyone done this w/o the tool?

2WDAxle.jpg

Use the drill and sawzall method - stick a drill into the rubber portion, let it walk its way all around the bushing till it's shredded/ripped out most of the rubber, rip the rest out with a pair of pliers, then use the sawzall to carefully cut most of the way through the bushing sleeve and twist/collapse it till it comes out. Then find a way to press the new bushing in without bending the ears - try sticking a piece of metal stock or something in between them.

Passenger side on 4wd is the same like ehall said, at least on non-disconnect axles. On vac-disconnect d30s the passenger side is also a cast/forged mount.

Cut a piece of 2x4 wood, or possibly some pipe or electrical conduit to fit between the two 'tabs', or ears, before you install the new bushing. Remove the old ones like previously suggested, whatever method works. Keeping the two tabs in proper relation to each other by spacing them is important , at least as I've found. That way, if you resort to hammering them to get them to seat, you're not pushing one or the other over. And, pay attention to which way they're in there, and orient the new ones the same way. One hole is bigger than the other, and they only want to go in one direction.

The sawz-all method works great for removal! What I usually do is find a socket that wedges into the gap of the bushing mount and that has always helped me keep the ears from bending together!
Good luck

Back