• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help in Moab! (engine cutting out)

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished the White Rim trail yesterday, yeah! The car starting cutting out a little or stuttering heading out of Moab up the hill today, boo! Seemed to run fine downhill, but it has seemed a little underpowered lately. I checked the fuel pressure with and without the vacuum line attached and it was 35-45 according to my cheap gauge. Any ideas before I take it to a shop tomorrow? It has a full tank of gass. Thanks

Guessing 94 4.0?

When was the last fuel filter change--could be cutting your volume of fuel. 31/39 + - so I think the pressure is Ok.

Other things--only cuts out under load so it could be a spark issue--coil, plugs, wires, dist. cap.

Yep, 4.0. Original fuel filter. I have a coil,cap and rotor, and air filter, so maybe I should try those first? An aw4 wouldn't slip like that would it?

Yep, 4.0. Original fuel filter. I have a coil,cap and rotor, and air filter, so maybe I should try those first? An aw4 wouldn't slip like that would it?

Original as in 16 years old original? I would replace the fuel filter just out of respect for its age!

You could swap in those other parts, especially the cap and rotor, keep the old stuff for spares.

Good luck.

And I'm jealous your in Moab!

I think Joe nailed it. I am guessing you don't wheel your rig on rough terrain very much. When you go offroad and really shake the gas tank, you get all the crap in the bottom of the tank in suspension. Then the fuel pump picks it up and stuffs it into the fuel filter. The very first thing you should do is replace that fuel filter. Ask my why I carry the filter and 2 short pieces of hose as trail spares.

That can be a dusty trail. Check your air cleaner.

Haven't had Internet access in the outback. Cap, rotor and plugs and then coil did the job.thanks!

That's about what we figured. Glad you got it straightened out.

So, now where are the pictures of Moab?

i found an open vac port on the manifold which i found out was to the a/c controls so now the a/c is fixed and i was thinking would that have a factor on my cut out prob?? i'm still gonna change the spark parts...

i found an open vac port on the manifold which i found out was to the a/c controls so now the a/c is fixed and i was thinking would that have a factor on my cut out prob?? i'm still gonna change the spark parts...

Well, the OP resolved his issues.

How about you start over, start with the BASICS--year/engine/etc., then state your problem and under what conditions they present, and what you have done so far to mitigate. Once we get everyone on the same page it makes it easier to find the answers.

ok i have a 91 4.0 aw4 242 new wires and plugs, new tpc cps iac ...

when driving she runs great once i hit a small grade of put a load on her she hic-ups... and sometimes backfires when power kicks in so that leads me to believe its not a fuel issue but a spark issue...

today i pulled cap and rotor and inspected.. looks decent .. no more wear then normal ...

how ever i did notice play in the dizzy shaft.. up and down and side to side.. so now i believe my issue is due to my dizzy...

so i'm trying to locate one through the back channels.. used lol

i havent worked in a year and have no extra cash seeing that i went back to school..

so what do u think... bad dizzy?? she runs and idles just hic-ups hitting grades ...

Up and down--Ok, side to side--bad news.

so do u think that the extra slop in the dizzy is causing my miss???

Very possible. Pickup a used distributor at the salvage yard, if it isn't the same year you may have to transfer the synch sensor from yours to the replacement, no big deal.

yeah i thought about that last night.. i'm gonna hit the local yard tomorrow

Back