• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's with 3.73's?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
i was just wondering if it would be any better than 3.55's with 33's? i am looking at a hp 30 for cheap from a guy on another forum complete from disk to disk with factory arms and everything else. and i have a line on an 8.25 with the same gears. even if the general consensus says no, i probably will still buy the hp 30 for the 3.73 up carrier to put at least 4.10's in it. btw, 97 xj aw4, 30 and 8.25 29 spl., 231, and 285/75/16 on moab wheels.

not going to make much of a difference. I run 3.73's with an AX-15 and 34's. you're wanting 4.10s to make it close to factory ratios, 4.56's if it sees more trail duty than road.
My junk is going to 4.56's in the fall.

yes, it'll be better... not much but it'll be better. If you are going to pay more than 150 bucks or so (and are planning on regearing to something else anyways) just buy a plain jane 3.55 hp d30 and a 3.73-up carrier instead, and if that 8.25 with 3.73s costs you more than about the same I'd pass on it.

This is all assuming you decide after all to regear them, else get them and just run them. Really if you are going to try and buy budget prebuilt, go for a set of axles with 4.10s in them however... d30 and an 8.25 or 8.8. Above that you're going to be regearing either way so just go for your current axles + new carrier or a set of spares so you can keep driving it while getting the axles regeared.

thanks, well i probably will still just buy the whole hp 30 for the spare parts anyways, and just go 4.10's. Just realized this evening, it really needs gear, it is real lazy now with those heavy moabs and 285's....

I know the feeling... what 285s are those, treadwrights? I DDed that combo for a while but with steel rims added to the mix, 4.0L/AW4/231/3.55s and 285/75R16 TreadWright ATs on Cragar V-5s. I am not exaggerating when I say that my stock MJ with the same drivetrain, 225s, and at least 1300lbs of parts and camping gear in the back could beat it off the line.

someone stated 4.10's for a DD and 4.56's for trail use but are the 4.56's going to hurt it for a dd for in town city driving? i have 33x10.50's bfg at's and if i need to upgrade my carrier i might as well go 4.56's instead of 4.10's right? my xj will sometimes be pulling a trailer up grades as steep as 7% with 1000-2000 lbs behind it.

Just do it right and go 4.88s. Especially if you know you're going to be towing. At 75mph your RPMs will be around 2800. If you need to go over that you need another vehicle IMO.

Go 4.56 or 4.88s for 33s. I went 4.88s and wouldn't want to be any taller. Still not back to stock levels of pep, but good enough.

Go 4.56 or 4.88s for 33s. I went 4.88s and wouldn't want to be any taller. Still not back to stock levels of pep, but good enough.

I ran 4.88s and 33s for a while, it works awesome. If you keep it between 55-65mph with 33s and 4.88s you can get fuel get close to stock fuel economy.

Mine likes to suck the gas down. But that probably has to do with the tire carrier out back...Power wise, I wouldn't go less than 4.88s. I love em.

i have been told by more than a few people that the 4.88 ring and pinion is pretty weak in the LPD30 axle and that i shouldnt go any lower than 4.56's. waxj i'd love to see stock fuel economy again! =) my jeep see's 9-12 mpg in town as it is now!!, my girl drives it most of the time to school and back and she loves the skinny pedal lol

darky my tire carrier out back doesnt seem like it changed my fuel economy at all, roof rack either.

i have been told by more than a few people that the 4.88 ring and pinion is pretty weak in the LPD30 axle and that i shouldnt go any lower than 4.56's. waxj i'd love to see stock fuel economy again! =) my jeep see's 9-12 mpg in town as it is now!!, my girl drives it most of the time to school and back and she loves the skinny pedal lol

darky my tire carrier out back doesnt seem like it changed my fuel economy at all, roof rack either.

If you are going to regear why not get a HP axle? The last trip I took with 33s I got between 18 and 20 mpg on the way home. Trick is to keep the speed a little lower because our rigs have the aerodynamic properties of a toaster.

If you are going to regear why not get a HP axle? The last trip I took with 33s I got between 18 and 20 mpg on the way home. Trick is to keep the speed a little lower because our rigs have the aerodynamic properties of a toaster.

i dont want to look at my rig like its a 4wd scion XB! :twak:

if i come across a HP axle for the right price i'll do so, but im a wheeler on a budget like everyone else.

Lol its funny how many of these questions come up.... Yes you can run it, yes you will hate it, and yes you will devote all of your time and following paychecks finding a way to regear.

i dont want to look at my rig like its a 4wd scion XB! :twak:

if i come across a HP axle for the right price i'll do so, but im a wheeler on a budget like everyone else.
$250 for gears/setup kit/carrier, $150 for a real bargain on gear install = $400
when you're about to dump $400+ into an axle, I see no reason to not dump an extra $50 to $100 to make sure you are dumping that money into a less sucky axle. Especially because you can turn around and sell the LP D30 on CL for $100, and you reap the benefit of being charged less for gear install since the axle is out of the vehicle AND less vehicle downtime.

I've seen 4.88's in a D30 go wrong more than once. Ask BLOOSE how well that works out:laugh:

4.56's aren't going to hurt anyone's in town mileage, in fact it's going to help, because the stop and go traffic in town is going to have you doing a lot of acceleration, and the deep gears will help immensely.

Regarding LP Vs HP. Dude, you're rebuilding the axle if you're regearing it, go buy a HP axle at the junkyard for $100 and spend money on that. It's stronger, has better ground clearance and will help your front driveline angles when you lift it.

There is no reason to keep the LP axle if you're spending money to do this, I certainly wouldn't.

i'll look into getting a HP D30 first then, i drag my LP pretty frequently. plus my rig was originally from michigan and got moved to san diego before i got it, so it's seen lots of salt and is pretty rusted. plus it will give me a chance to clean it and repaint it. i was going to save for a G2 hp D44 but those are 2500.

Back