• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack n tap sye...simple explaination? I searched...

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
ok, getting everything planned out for my lift, 96 w/4.0 and AW4, going with 2'' rock-lizard type home brew, 30's. I know some people get vibes, some don't, but I'm thinking of an sye regardless. if cost-feasable. So, the 'hack n tap' sye job- I'm not sure I'm understanding this option. I see RE has the piece for ~ $90. so does this just change the t-case output to accept a stock front driveshaft to get the added length to relieve vibes?
I searched, but I couldn't find any real explaination of it- thanks

You cut the end of the output shaft off. I cut approx. 2" off mine. Then drill & tap the end of the output shaft. Bolt on the flange adapter, then bolt up the new DS. JIM.

Re kit which I have, removes the tailcone on pre 96 and replaces it with a bearing retainer and seal to hold in the fluid and makes you cut and tap the shaft to bolt the RE flange to it, which with and adaptor from spicer will mate a front driveshaft to the transder case. On post 96 jeeps it does the same thing but I believe their seal is already there. Check out my website, I have writeups on a NP242 hack and tap and the front driveshaft in the rear. Bear in mind if you are lucky the shaft will fit otherwise you will have to have it lengthed (expensive) or shortended, (cheaper.)

Slip yoke install
http://www.members.shaw.ca/mcghee.kevin/slip_yoke.htm

Front driveshaft in the rear
http://www.members.shaw.ca/mcghee.kevin/rear_driveshaft.htm

citRon said:
ok, getting everything planned out for my lift, 96 w/4.0 and AW4, going with 2'' rock-lizard type home brew, 30's. I know some people get vibes, some don't, but I'm thinking of an sye regardless. if cost-feasable. So, the 'hack n tap' sye job- I'm not sure I'm understanding this option. I see RE has the piece for ~ $90. so does this just change the t-case output to accept a stock front driveshaft to get the added length to relieve vibes?
I searched, but I couldn't find any real explaination of it- thanks
The RE H+T doesn't allow the use of a front driveshaft; the connections are different.

You literally cut (hack) an inch off the rear output of the 96+ t-case, and then tap a hole into it. That threaded hole is used for the bolt that retains the H+T flange once you're complete.

re_hack2.jpg

That's what you cut off. On the pre-96 XJ, the H+T also incorporates a seal that must be used to prevent leakage.

Read up at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html

I also need the part number, I have a spicer number (211229x) but my local shop couldn't find the part by the number. What is the part name?- ed "flange adapter"

Also how much of the tail shaft needs cut off? I have a spare to cut down and the directions from RE are as the shaft is installed related to how much is left sticking out.-ed "1.25-1.5"

Ok so I did some more searching and found answers but will this work with my D35 rear? I have read that yes and no it will and will not work. Stressing out now that I have all the parts and waiting to do it.

Last edited:
Back