• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

riverside/the fab school

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
so im debating enrolling in the fab school in riverside. have any of you guys heard about the school, good/bad or otherwise?

also its only 2 days a week 4 hrs a day so ill be looking for a job. how is finding a job out there. construction, heavy equipment op kinda jobs.

also i know theres lots of desert near there so ill be pretty interested in seeing some of the jeepspeed side of things.

any input would be great.

thanks guys!

my family knows the boss man there and he knows his stuff.. they teach alot of good skills and alot of tricks of the trade stuff.. if its what u wanna do its a great place to start... we have had some buggy stuff made by them and its great work..

Awesome dude, welcome to Kalifornia :D

You'll hate the politics but love everything else. As for the Fab School, they do teach you to weld and what not, however from what I've heard and the people I've talked to. You'd be better off spending the money on a good welder, and teaching yourself how to weld / build bumpers etc. It's your call, but don't expect to land a fab job after attending their school.

Also, consider checking out one of the barstow races once you get out here to see some jeepspeed racing.

As for work, construction is slowish right now, but starting to pick back up.

Are you already here or relocating here ?? No east coast fab. schools ??

Work isn't plentiful out here... not that jobs don't exist just good ones can have hundreds of applicants and the choices when thinned out are usually top notch.

True that even with all the closures there's still allot of places to go & see & this coast is the hub for the desert guys... don't know that I'd move allll the way across the country though.
Sorry to drift off topic... just curious...

Curt

I've never heard of the place before, but I've had a few friends who did the "Hot Rod U" stuff a few years back and they've had trouble getting jobs in the industry.

I'd spend the bucks on a welder, teach myself, and go take some business classes so I could open my own shop if I wanted to. One thing I've noticed over the years is alot of the guys who open their own shops know the mechanical end of things, but their books are a mess, and they end up closing because they're losing money.

Awesome dude, welcome to Kalifornia :D

You'll hate the politics but love everything else. As for the Fab School, they do teach you to weld and what not, however from what I've heard and the people I've talked to. You'd be better off spending the money on a good welder, and teaching yourself how to weld / build bumpers etc. It's your call, but don't expect to land a fab job after attending their school.

Also, consider checking out one of the barstow races once you get out here to see some jeepspeed racing.

As for work, construction is slowish right now, but starting to pick back up.

i already have a welder and some pretty good fab skills but ill be using the GI bill for school so its basically free and an excuse to go see cali for a while. i just want some diploma type of thing so that down the road when/if i do open my own shop ill have documentation im not just some jack off the street building stuff. and i dont plan on getting a fab job after school its more for my own personal benefit

Are you already here or relocating here ?? No east coast fab. schools ??

Work isn't plentiful out here... not that jobs don't exist just good ones can have hundreds of applicants and the choices when thinned out are usually top notch.

True that even with all the closures there's still allot of places to go & see & this coast is the hub for the desert guys... don't know that I'd move allll the way across the country though.
Sorry to drift off topic... just curious...

Curt
ill be relocating there from RI for the duration of the school and if i like it i might stick around. but if i do itll be up more towards the mtns cuz i cant live without snowboarding.

I've never heard of the place before, but I've had a few friends who did the "Hot Rod U" stuff a few years back and they've had trouble getting jobs in the industry.

I'd spend the bucks on a welder, teach myself, and go take some business classes so I could open my own shop if I wanted to. One thing I've noticed over the years is alot of the guys who open their own shops know the mechanical end of things, but their books are a mess, and they end up closing because they're losing money.

im not worried about my own shop yet but down the road ill more than likley open one. i already have a huge shop at my disposal and a great location. my aunt does the books for my grandfathers company and she already said shed keep mine for me.

thanks for the input tho guys ill be sure to post up here if i do end up going out. if i do itll be probly febuaryish.

so it's ok to waste money, sinse the government is paying?

this is a nasty truth about the GI bill, these types of specialized schools specifically target GI bill people, they know you dont care, its not your money!

its rampant in the airplane maintenance scene, they promise you the world untill you sign up, then they have OUR money anyways....

this is a nasty truth about the GI bill, these types of specialized schools specifically target GI bill people, they know you dont care, its not your money!

its rampant in the airplane maintenance scene, they promise you the world untill you sign up, then they have OUR money anyways....

He said it was for his own personal benefit to have a diploma/cert so IF he were to open a shop he would have some documentation. How is that wasting money? He served and earned his GI Bill benefits. Most guys don't even use it (That's a waste).

how is going to school a waste of money? i understand these kinds of schools say theyll help you get jobs in the field and i know that few actually do. ive got some pretty serious plans for my yj and this will help me leaps and bounds more than i could help myself. ill get hands on training with experienced people then i can come back and use that experience on my own personal vehicle without having to figure out that hard way that i screwed it up.

so thanks for your $.02

how is going to school a waste of money? i understand these kinds of schools say theyll help you get jobs in the field and i know that few actually do. ive got some pretty serious plans for my yj and this will help me leaps and bounds more than i could help myself. ill get hands on training with experienced people then i can come back and use that experience on my own personal vehicle without having to figure out that hard way that i screwed it up.

so thanks for your $.02
You'll get to know xcm if you come out here. Decent enough guy, except when it comes to anything that can be construed politically. ;)

If you come out here, you're never far from the mountains. Riverside is maybe 2-3hrs from Big Bear for skiing and snowboarding.

youre saying that anyone going to a tech school on the govts dime is a waste of money, because they dont care??? maybe i read that wrong, but i think i have earned the money theyre giving me for school!

im attending a tech school, and i care a lot about what i am learning at school....im holding a 3.9 gpa, if i didnt care i would think it would be a lot lower than what it is...

You'll get to know xcm if you come out here. Decent enough guy, except when it comes to anything that can be construed politically. ;)

If you come out here, you're never far from the mountains. Riverside is maybe 2-3hrs from Big Bear for skiing and snowboarding.

yay:) i miss lake tahoe a lot.

I would also like to attend this type of school but I waited too long and now I don't think I have any GI bill benefits to use :( I would also like to open a shop but in this economy it just wouldn't succeed. I would have to have work lined up big time to make it worthwhile.

I had 2 chances to use the GI Bill and didn't follow through with it. That's my screw up and that is considered a waste.

I am curious to know if xcm has served and earned the right to comment or complain about a veterans use of the GI Bill.

I'm going back to school this fall to get my bachelor's. Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Nice setup on that one.

John, I think you have 10 yrs after you get out and you get enough benefits to pay for 4 yrs of schooling, assuming you take summers off. 36 months.

I'm going back to school this fall to get my bachelor's. Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Nice setup on that one.

John, I think you have 10 yrs after you get out and you get enough benefits to pay for 4 yrs of schooling, assuming you take summers off. 36 months.
It's been more than 10 years :(

ur SOL then

ill be talking to the first seargent about what im gonna hafta do to move out there for a yr.5 next weekend so ill have more updates in a few weeks.

im sure ill have more questions too

Back