• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak after turning off jeep

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
Searched forever and couldn't find anything, decited to just ask some specifics.. Jeep is leaking fluid (drips not gushing) from lower coolant hose. The leak is right where it connects to the water pump.. I replaced the lower radiator hose and cranked both ends down nice and tight to ensure a good seal.. I noticed that when the car is running there is no leak, but when i turn it off water begins to drip heavily, then slow down and finally stop.. I re adjusted the hose clamp a couple times on the to make sure that everything was seated properly and have concluded the seal is good from the hose to the water pump... What can i check now? And why only leaking when jeep is off? thanks -Josh

Are you sure that the leak isn't coming from the weep hole in the water pump?

Are you sure that the leak isn't coming from the weep hole in the water pump?

Agree with Begster, look up top for a leak.

Same thing happened to me a while back, sure enough it was the weep hole. Gravity can play tricks on fluid leaks ha.

I've had only when cold "drive me crazy" water leaks twice with my 97. Minor amounts of coolant each time. The first event turned out to be the stock radiator separating where plastic/metal are bonded. I put in a new, all metal, radiator. That was at about 90,000 miles. Second event - about 3,000 miles later - was the water pump, as iwannadie is suggesting. You might want to look at one or both of these problems as possibly causing the leak.

Pulled the pulley off the water pump and sure enough the weep hole was weepin... Picked up a new water pump and installed it, problem solved... Thanks for all the help..

Last edited:
1997 4.0 - I did more research and I'm going to stop by Autozone after work and pick up a OEM replacement (duralast brand is all they got). I'll replace it next week, but I want it in the car since I'm taking a small trip this weekend.

Well, buy a NEW, never a reman WP.

I prefer NAPA.

PS--don't let any "Lifetime Warranty" crude put pictures of dancing sugar plums in your head, unless you like replacing parts over and over and over again.

Back