• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should it cost to get a CPS replaced?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
My poor old '96 XJ has been parked for about 6 months now because I *think* the CPS went out. (200k+ on the original, no spark or fuel when cranking) I pulled the old one off several months ago and bought a new one. The new one still sits in the box, and the XJ is collecting spider webs.

I can't currently bolt the new one back in due to a combination of medical problems. I just can't reach the damn thing. I've decided I might as well hire somebody else to do it at this point. I HATE letting anyone else touch my vehicle, even for a carwash, and it seems like they screw me every time. Last time I decided to let somebody else touch my Jeep, they tried to charge me $500 for front brakes alone AND completely ruined my aluminum wheels in the process...:gonnablow

So, if I take it to a reputable shop, WITH a new sensor already bought, and the old one already removed - what do you think is a FAIR price to pay to install the new one? Shouldn't take somebody who knows what they are doing more than a half hour, should it?

Flat rate guide for 90 4.0 is 0.5 hours.

Where are you located? Has a lot of bearing on shop hourly rates, and "Over there!" isn't much use :spin1:

Very easy to do wish I did not pay to have mine done it is a little tight but not hard at all. I know I paid about $150. to $200. parts and labor. Try it your self first

Hmmm...I found a guy on craigslist who is willing to replace the CPS and do the plugs in another vehicle for $50, and he comes to me. I don't think he's "anything" certified, but sent some pictures of a nice looking, well equiped work van with his name painted on the side.

Would you let someone like that work on your Jeep? It's always the cheap price that draws me in and it ends up costing 10 times as much for work I don't like.....:confused1

I honestly don't trust certifications much, I know of some real stupid mechanics who are ASE certified and some of the best I know don't have any certs. Just make sure he isn't some chucklehead when he shows up and I'd say you are fine. Heck, on a CPS job, he probably could use an extra hand or two threading the cable, stick around while he's doing it and you'll know for sure if he's screwing something up.

Hmmm...I found a guy on craigslist who is willing to replace the CPS and do the plugs in another vehicle for $50, and he comes to me. I don't think he's "anything" certified, but sent some pictures of a nice looking, well equiped work van with his name painted on the side.

Would you let someone like that work on your Jeep? It's always the cheap price that draws me in and it ends up costing 10 times as much for work I don't like.....:confused1

You don't have any friends that work on their own Jeeps?
Since you already removed the old CPS and all that is required is to install the new one....; shouldn't require much time.
Should be a plug and play except that your Jeep has been sitting for 6 months and will need a jump start. Probably couldn't hurt add fresh gasoline and to change the oil and filter too !!

post in your local chapters forum, someone may be able to come over and help you out for the cost of some beer.

Chit if you live by me i'm free to help you out..I did my CPS in about 15 min...So part of the over do you live in?
Pretty much what I was getting at too... if you're within a reasonable distance of me, I'm usually more than happy wrenching on stuff after hours.

won't that slow down your posting?

Naw, he is a multi-tasker! :geek: :badpc: :chef: :cheers: :listenmus :farmer::guitar: :phone: :speepin: :party:

I mostly post from work... after hours, I'm usually fixing my jeeps and/or friend's vehicles, or tinkering with electronics.

My job consists of watching tests run that take multiple hours to complete, and writing code that I really don't like and have strong doubts about the utility of. I attempted to resign a month and a half ago, actually sent my letter in, but my boss convinced me to stick it out.

It's not very difficult to multitask between watching two multi-hour progress bars tick, and surfing the net.

That, plus the fact that I intend to learn everything there possibly is to know about how XJs work, and pass on any info I find, mean I tend to be on here.

Assuming I find a job that is more in line with my skills and interests, and less soul-sucking in the near future, I'll be on here a lot less. I would MUCH rather be doing hardware design than what I am doing right now.

</hijack>

Back