• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj fan clutch?

Digger87xj

NAXJA Forum User
I see references to people using a zj fan clutch in their xj....

What application? the 4.0 or the 5.2?

I'm having troubles with mine (93 xj) getting hot...(go figure)... on long hill climbs. aftermarket gauge in the rear of the head shows 240 when it's at the hottest. Cools right off on the flats or down hill.

Only thing i have not changed it the head gasket. 230k it might be due... thinking steam ports are clogged.
Not too sure the new fan clutch I put in (Hayden) is really locking up like I think it should.
A 5.2 Durango, for instance, will ROAR when it engages. Not so with my xj.

So... whats the zj fan clutch all about?

Its the Heavy Duty clutch used on the 4.0 motor. Is actually the same as the HD clutch you would buy for a XJ. But alot of Junkyard shoppers will, look for one at from a ZJ, only because it's more likely to be found on a ZJ. If you have an Auto Trans, I'd suggest a tranny cooler also.

You need to use an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler and not run the tranny fluid through the radiator. I had this problem with mine and when I installed an aux tranny cooler the problem was solved. BTW doing a google search for hot trannys is of no help :D

Holy fan clutch batman! There is no question the 272310 is drawing air. Think I lost about 40 horses :D

IT definately helped. I could leave the a/c the entire climb up the hill.

Before: hits 240 1/4 way up the hill, no a/c, heater on high
after: hits 240, at very top of hill will a/c on max.

Quite the change, but I'm still not satisfied. My '87 (with a 93zj engine) never had cooling issues and it never had a fan shroud even.

Head gasket swap is in the near future. If for nothing else but peace of mind.

Back