• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That's the brakes

not sure boss i'll do some research and see if i can find out... i know the d35 brakes with some massage fit a d44

I might. I'll check for you if you.

Took us a long while, but we got the brakes from my old D35 onto the 44 housing. We had to widen the hole in the backing plate pretty severely, but when white trash decides they are going to get something done, we get 'er DONE! :D

So then I just took the entire brakes of my 35 and slapped them on the 44. They were useless on the 35, I figure they can't be any more useless on the 44.

Drums and shoes are totally different. XJ44 are gonna have 10" x 2" (or 2.5?) drums while the 8.25 were all 9", by the time the 8.25 came around Chrylser deleted the bigger brakes for towing packages. (for example my 1989 Towing equipped D35 had 10" drums on it)

Drums and shoes are totally different. XJ44 are gonna have 10" x 2" (or 2.5?) drums while the 8.25 were all 9", by the time the 8.25 came around Chrylser deleted the bigger brakes for towing packages. (for example my 1989 Towing equipped D35 had 10" drums on it)
So does that mean the 8.25 brake shoes and drums will not fit the D44 (or D35) backing plate? I most likely have a full 8.25 brake setup. I didn't realize Skwerly's rig had D35 backing plates. I hope the D44 parts will fit on them. If not then I guess I will be putting new D35 brakes on it.

8.25 and D35 brakes are the same (assuming you don't have the old tow packages like GSequia said), and are both 9". D44 brakes and drums are totally different, and are 10".

The Police Special version of the C8.25 had 10x2 brakes with finned drums. All the parts are easily found at NAPA, Autozone etal with the exception of the backing plates. Those beasties are fun to find for the C8.25, D35 versions are relatively common. I was going to convert my 98 to them but just renewed the 9" brakes as my kid needed it ASAP to drive to College in Denver. Oh well, maybe next time.

Back