• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High clearance, tube, winch bumper for XJ

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
So my jeep was starting to look decent. But due to my stock bumpers, I looked like every other rig on the road.X
df5d5df7.jpg

I wanted a rig with a winch bumper but hated two thing about most bumper I see.X
1) lose too much clearance
2) big boxy or hybrid with some tube.X
So I decided I'd give a swing at makin my own tube bumper. Having never really welded before, or used a bender before I knew this was gonna be a challenge.X

Overall design goals:
-All tube
-Pre-runner style w/stinger
-Winch bumper
-Keep as much clearance as possible.X

(disclaimer: I know my welds and bends aren't near perfect or pretty, was my first build ever. Just trying to get hang of it an see what you guys think)

So here is what I started with. 1/4 plate for bumpers. Tube is 1-1/2" .120 wall

I decided to do main bar in 3 pieces for a few reasons. Less bends, and easier to replace anything damaged.X

On to build pics.X
33d4b055.jpg

Supported side bars

3cdb09ba.jpg

Not as much bend as I wanted. Oh wellX
ad19822b.jpg

Gettin the stinger on
0ff1e606.jpg

b0c562de.jpg

Here it is with the stinger supports on and painted
fd95c612.jpg

Shot from the side
cbc7e58e.jpg

And a shot of how it looks on jeep as a whole
4beba615.jpg

I'll be addin some more tube underneath for some support and then a plate on top for the winch. I'll be cuttin out the grill and the winch will sit up against the radiator.X

Hopefully have some action shots of it after Sunday. :thumbup:

looks great, nice first bumper, keep the pics coming.

i did something similar (arent all bumpers pretty much the same?), and the end peices were scary weak unsupported. you can have a tube come off the brackets 90o out to the end of the bend, that helps. i threw in a truss tube between them as well.

thanks man...
i feel like for first project i didnt do half bad lol

ill get some pics up hopefully beginning of next week....

whats thoughts on using 1/4" to gusset all the corners?

Looks pretty damn good dude! I share your feelings on clearance and whatnot, which is why I've held off on a front bumper. Desperately need/want one, especially with how I have a tendency to leadfoot it up a hill and get bounced off-track into a tree. Granted that may be operator-error to a large degree :)

its just one and ya i welded it on..not sure why i even put on on there tho lol, not like imma use it

well the plate will be getting another brace from one side to the other with gussets before im done

Nice job Mike!! :thumbup:

thanks man.

Any suggestions? I wanna make a new one and implement some things I've learned.....

Its all personal preference. Everybody has a different need and expectation for their bumpers. That's why whenever someone does a "post your bumper pic" threads you will see a million different ones. Use it for a while and see what you like and don't like, then go from there.

Any suggestions?

Other than the tow hooks you got it covered in my book. Either replace that with a d-ring mount or bolt the hooks on.

most of peoples recommendations will be how THEY WOULD make the bumper, whats most important is what YOU want.... so i'll try to stay un-involved, taste-wise...

i made my brackets double sided, i think its a bit stronger for forward impacts, 1/4" gussets will work fine, but it may look like the gussets were an after thought.
heres some pics of mine. there are 2 differant ones shown.

theres more in the imageshack page.
if you asked, i'd say the stinger is a little too pointy up top, but as i said, thats a taste call!

Last edited:
I like the way it looks - bounce it off any rocks or yank on it yet? I have yet to test any of my welds and I'm not sure I would trust myself with building a bumper.

oh ya...used the bumper to push ona rock and slide the front end over...ended up smacking my header panel but the only damage to bumper was some scratched paint...so i think it held up quite well :D

Back