• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 ARB Locker/Gears Transferable?

pmcarron

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 74 CJ that was totalled in a collision, it has a Dana 44 rear axle with ARB Lockers and Dana 30 Front with ARB Lockers. I have an 89 XJ that is my new prodject now with the same axles. Is there any issues with using the gears and lockers off my CJ to put in my XJ?

Yeah I wouldnt think so, they look the same. I am just trying to foresee as many kinks as possible. Nothing like having 2 rear ends torn apart and disabling my rig while I try to resolve some minor technical issue rendering my jeep out of commission. I would like it to go as seemless as possible in the transfer.

Rear gears and locker should have no issues. The front locker should be fine, you will have to get new front gears though. The CJ uses a standard rotation Dana 30 and the Cherokee uses a reverse rotation gear set. HTH.

Does that mean the Locker in the CJ Dana 30 is not usable on the XJ D30? In the front I am really only concerned about salvaging the ARB frt locker I have for my XJ. The gears, not so much...

Both lockers should work 100%

the rear gears should work 100%

the front gears will NOT work.

Both lockers should work 100%

the rear gears should work 100%

the front gears will NOT work.

What he said. He was a little more clear about it.

I thought you wanted the gears as well

Is there any issues with using the gears and lockers off my CJ to put in my XJ?

At least now you have the answers you were looking for. But this now have a different outcome if you want to use different ratios in the Cherokee than what was in the CJ:

Dana 30:
3.54 and down
3.73 and up

Dana 44:
3.73 and down
3.92 and up

What ratio is in the CJ axles? Do you know what ratio you want to run in the Cherokee?

I would just confirm that the rear is also Not a 19 spline. as long as its a 30 spline your good. You will be needing some small parts that might lead you to buy new seal housings for both and bulkhead kits. the old stuff had a different size hard air line to teh seal housing and the new stuff is smaller. so if any parts in the air line bulkhead are not usable or transfered over you will need some small parts and such.

I never pulled the rear end apart to know for sure, but they guy I bought it from said they were 4.27's. I never heard of that. Its low geared for sure. I also has terra low kit in the transfer case which gives 4 to 1 reduction, I'd love to put that on my Cherokee but not sure it would work.

Back