• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny and transfercase

white hawk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know it probably has been asked several times. But I can't find any info. I have a 4.3l out of a 94 s10 blazer auto.

I am planning on build the 4.3l with a good cam for off and on road use. What would be a good option for this set as far as tranny and transfer case. Tires will be 33" or 35's. A Tranny ax15 with a advance adapter twin stick with a np231 transfer case. Or an sm465 and a np231 transfercase. I am looking durability and semi good gass mileage.

Ok I know it probably has been asked several times. But I can't find any info. I have a 4.3l out of a 94 s10 blazer auto.

I am planning on build the 4.3l with a good cam for off and on road use. What would be a good option for this set as far as tranny and transfer case. Tires will be 33" or 35's. A Tranny ax15 with a advance adapter twin stick with a np231 transfer case. Or an sm465 and a np231 transfercase. I am looking durability and semi good gass mileage.

465 has no overdrive and a deep 1st gear. So really you have 3 gears to work with for street driving. That will net you crappy MPG's.

AX15 keeps you in the power band and has an OD.

Strengthwise the 465 is tough to beat....if you can live with the shortcomings.

Why not use the auto,it should be a 4L60 and all the controls for the engine and tranny are in the ECU.Just got done putting a 4.3/4L60 in my sons 4x4 Toyota!

If your running the 4.3 grab the transmission and Tcase, you can use your Jeep front output yoke on the transfer case, and save a lot of money on adapters.

I was asking cause I could get a sm465 fo $45 and a np205 for $65. I wasn't to sure if a ax15 could handle the abuse of offroading and a built 4.3l. As for the auto tranny I am just a manual tranny person. Its just a personal preference. I am kinda new to 4wheelin I had a dodge w150 but the most I did with it was trail ride the main roads. I want to learn and push my self everytime I go out. 1 step at a time.

So would a ax15 hold up to a newbie.

So if I go with a ax15 np231 and advance adapters twin stick. I would have best of both worlds? Correct. Better gass mpg than a sm465 but still have low gears with the twin stick from advance adapters.

yu cant twin stick a 231 so ur idea is all wrong in the first place

get a dana 300 an twinstick that
If you install a 2 low kit, then yes you CAN twin stick a 231.

Back