• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flipping a chevy front D44

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My brother just got some 1 ton axles from a chevy. housing on the front is on the wrong side and he was looking into flipping it to put it on the driver side.

has anyone done that before? what is entailed in this endeavor?

I assume you have to cut the steering knuckles off and flip them.

what about the ring and pinion. will he need a reverse cut ring and pinion?

what other things does he need to consider?

I think it's a D44, but I'm not positive.

You don't mean he's thinking of flipping the differential housing upside down, do you? If you do, stop thinking about it now, because that will burn up the pinion bearings, they won't be properly oiled if you do that.

I'm mostly an axle fab retard, but the only way I can think of to do this is to swap the long and short side axle tubes by disconnecting them from the center housing and putting them back in on the other side. While you're at it, set the pinion vs knuckle angle properly for the amount of lift he's aiming for.

not to mention the axle will run backwards. do a 4 wheel burnout in the same spot :p

switching the tubes would be the best bet

I think that's why he was asking about a reverse cut ring and pinion, not sure.

(to clarify - nope, there is no way to install reverse cut / reverse spiral / whatever you want to call them gears in a housing meant for the opposite. Low pinion gear sets go in low pinion housings, high pinion gear sets go in high pinion housings. If you try the other way around, the teeth cross instead of meshing and the carrier won't even go in.)

not to mention the axle will run backwards. do a 4 wheel burnout in the same spot :p

switching the tubes would be the best bet

What he said. You can't just flip an axle to change what side the pumpkin is on. Reverse rotaion gears will not work in a standard rotation housing.

you have couple options:
1. swap tubes side to side (not particularly easy to do)
2. cut the long side down and re-attach the knuckle to the short side spec. Retube the short side to match your desired width. I've done a couple by sleeving and butt welding the tubes. Works fine.
3. Use the axle as is and swap to a passenger drop t-case, like a 300.
4. sell off the GM axle and find a ford 44. It'll be hi-pinion and a driver side drop. In some ways a better axle for your use. Look for a leaf spring version from an F250 - 77-79 are your best bet. Around 1980 Ford went to the TTB junk.

It's done on some rear engine buggies when the drive shaft turns the wrong way, and both axles are flipped so they both go the right direction. Special work needs to be done so they oil the pinion properly. Never seen it done on a D44, and you can't do only the front axle. Reverse cut gears only fit a factory high pinion housing, a flipped housing would use standard gears.

Like everyone has said, you can't just flip the housing over. If you want to make it driverside's drop, you need to retube it. That Chevy will be a low pinion though. I would not put all of that effort into a LP front end. If you don't mind LP, go find a grand wagoneer 44 front and swap it in. A dime a dozen.

P.S. If its a D44, they aren't one ton axles. They will be 3/4 ton, and the 44 would have to be 8 lug.

Chop the long side, have a new tube pressed into the old short side. If you're interested in running it full width, tube it so you just swap the axle shafts from side to side. Weld inner C's back on. Fab up appropriate mounting brackets. I guess with a D60, even 25 year old junkyard shafts will be fine on normal tire sizes. It's already geared to a ratio he would run, right? If it's not a D60? Get a Waggy or F-150 or F-250 D44.

I run a D30 anyway. :D

Like everyone has said, you can't just flip the housing over. If you want to make it driverside's drop, you need to retube it. That Chevy will be a low pinion though. I would not put all of that effort into a LP front end. If you don't mind LP, go find a grand wagoneer 44 front and swap it in. A dime a dozen.

P.S. If its a D44, they aren't one ton axles. They will be 3/4 ton, and the 44 would have to be 8 lug.
It is an 8 lug chevy axle. I couldn't remember what it was and just guessed. My brother said that the rear is a 14 bolt corporate. I'm not sure what it is geared. it came off some sort of chevy one ton truck. His buddy bought a rolling chasis, for the motor, and sold my brother the axles. I'm not sure how I can tell what exactly they are, but if someone has a guess or can tell me what to look for, that would be helpful.

Last edited:
You don't mean he's thinking of flipping the differential housing upside down, do you? If you do, stop thinking about it now, because that will burn up the pinion bearings, they won't be properly oiled if you do that.

I'm mostly an axle fab retard, but the only way I can think of to do this is to swap the long and short side axle tubes by disconnecting them from the center housing and putting them back in on the other side. While you're at it, set the pinion vs knuckle angle properly for the amount of lift he's aiming for.
X whatever

I run a 78 Ford Bronco high pinion D44 and left it full width. That axle comes with big disk brakes, hubs, and 5x5.5" spacing. I modified the radius arms and run them as well with great results. You can score some 1-2" wheel spacers for the rear that also convert from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5". I even used the Ford track bar and modified it.

I built a sweet D44 front for $1100 complete with gears, locker, rims front and rear, spacers, radius arm suspension, track bar, new brakes and a spare set of stock axles. It has worked great and I love it.

DUDE! Leave it how it is and buy a dana 300 transfer case. I've seen them for about $300 It's stronger and right side. Solves all your problems.

Yes, switching to a Dana 300 will solve all the problems of someone who thought he could just flip an axle over.

bowdown.gif

Ahahahaha almost got me there.

Actually you'd just have to flip the downpipe, manifolds, engine, etc.

Screw it, just mount the jeep upside down on top of the axle

One ton will be a 60, 3/4 will be a 44, either could be 8 lug.

Or a 10 bolt. They came in HD fashion with 8 lug as well. I have one on my 3/4 ton '79.

You'd need a right hand drive exhaust kit so the front driveshaft would clear.

:doh:

I would almost think it would be easier to route the exhaust on the drivers side since the exhaust manifold is on that side anyway. Also you could easily swap the furthest rearmost hanger to D side.

I think a 300 swap would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Or a 10 bolt. They came in HD fashion with 8 lug as well. I have one on my 3/4 ton '79.

I would almost think it would be easier to route the exhaust on the drivers side since the exhaust manifold is on that side anyway. Also you could easily swap the furthest rearmost hanger to D side.

I think a 300 swap would be the way to go.

I wouldn't want to do this as the brake and fuel lines are on the driver side. You'd end up with both brake and vapor lock issues I suspect.

Back