• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!

XJFETISH

NAXJA Forum User
Help! I have a 93 XJ AW4 4x4 and got with a 97 block and head already in place! I can not get this thing timed! Is it that the cam is wrong for the computer? Or is it that the timing set up in the manual is wrong? Some books say to line the marks up another says to count the pins between the marks when at 1 o'clock position! I have tried to time several times with no luck! HELP!

1. You have a 93--did you use the 93 flexplate and the 93 CPS/CKP crank sensor? If not, you will have problems.

2. Timing is NOT adjustable on the 4.0 engine. However, you can get the synch sensor and distributor so far off that the engine won't run or will run like crap.

3. Pull the spark plugs--just number one if you want, but the engine will turn much easier if you pull ALL of them.

4. Hold your finger/thumb over the spark plug hole for cylinder number one, rotate the engine until the piston is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke--you will know it is the compression stroke because your finger/thumb will be pushed away from the spark plug hole.

5. Engine at TDC on compression stroke, lift the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the cap, and if there is no number 1 embossed in the cap then at least make sure that the contact the rotor is pointing too has a spark plug wire running to number one cylinder--if not, reposition the distributor until it is right.

6. Now that you have number one identified, then make sure the wires are 1-5-3-6-2-4 for the firing order.

Thank you! Yes I did put a 93 flex plate and sensor in it. I think you are right the distributor is still off a little! I reset it again and it got better. Should the rotor be between the 1 and 5 or right on the 1? I checked the timing gear again but it lines up perfectly accept for the check you are supposed to do with the 15 pins, I can't get it to do that at all!! Do you have to have 15 pins or is that only on an original timing set? Thanks for the help!

Back