• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kit advice.

JBradshaw92XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a complete newb to XJ's. I just got a 92. I've been looking into lift kits and decided I atleast want to go 4". I've been looking at rustys, RE, and rough country. Until I ran across this Teraflex kit on Summitracing.com.

Link here: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=TMI%2D001477766&N=700+4294843846+4294908280+4294908279+4294924927+115&autoview=sku

I notice it doesnt come with shocks, or brake line brackets. Is that all It's missing? I can get the shocks from Rusty's for around $120.00 before shipping and the brake line extension kit for $10.00.

What do you guys think?

Or should I go with a complete kit, like this one from rustys? http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=405AL&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Or Rough Country... http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

JBradshaw92XJ said:
I'm a complete newb to XJ's. I just got a 92. I've been looking into lift kits and decided I atleast want to go 4". I've been looking at rustys, RE, and rough country. Until I ran across this Teraflex kit on Summitracing.com.

Link here: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=TMI%2D001477766&N=700+4294843846+4294908280+4294908279+4294924927+115&autoview=sku

I notice it doesnt come with shocks, or brake line brackets. Is that all It's missing? I can get the shocks from Rusty's for around $120.00 before shipping and the brake line extension kit for $10.00.

What do you guys think?

Yea, there are kits that dont come with either. Id check around for shocks, although $120.00 sounds good for 4 shocks, better see how much it is with shipping. Ive never delt with Rustys, but have herd numerous people complain about his shipping prices and how long it takes, but numerous people say the opposite.

Search around a bit to see what others have done.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102545

Last edited:
Personally i would go with RE. im either geting their 4.5 or 5.5. you cant beet their quality. havent hear anything good about rustys lifts, so i would spend the extra cash and get somthing that will last. My 2cents

For the price Rough Country is Hard to beat in my openion. Sure they may not have the same ride quality and all the bells and whistles as the others, it does what I want. Got the 4.5 directly from them for 760 shiped with a new steering stabilizer and quick discos and it has everything u need. Unless u are getting new brake lines u dont even need the front extensions, just unbolt the brackets.

www.jeepinoutfitters.com

For under $1200 shipped I got:

RE 4.5" with full packs and upgraded to HD tracbar w/ mount, JKS discos, adj. UCAs and RE monotube shocks.

Keep away from Rusty!!

Stay far, far away from anything Rusty's...there stuff is junk.I would def. go with the RE 4.5in kit, there stuff is some of the best for the money. Keep in mind at that height you will need an SYE and CV driveshaft, so thats going to add about $400 to the cost of the lift. I have the RE 3.5 Super Ride kit on my 01 XJ and I love it.

Re: Keep away from Rusty!!

Jeeperz83 said:
Stay far, far away from anything Rusty's...there stuff is junk.I would def. go with the RE 4.5in kit, there stuff is some of the best for the money. Keep in mind at that height you will need an SYE and CV driveshaft, so thats going to add about $400 to the cost of the lift. I have the RE 3.5 Super Ride kit on my 01 XJ and I love it.
have you ran the rustys lift? or is this just a regurgitation of the other comments here?

i have the rustys kit and the suspension is great. Ill admit to a defective trac bar (although i was sent a new one which hasnt broke yet)

also, if you decide to go rustys, call up and order, the shipping is lower.

also, at 3-4.5 its not imperitive that he get a sye and CV DS. its a pre 97 and has a tailcone on the Tcase that is less prone to vibration at steep angles. mine has no vibes at 5".
although all jeeps are different. its a hit or miss

though with the RE kit, if you have the extra money (by no means do i mean its overpriced) you do get upper control arms and discos.

If you are wondering about shocks, I dont know how good they are but I got superlift shocks"scratch and dent " for 10$ a piece plus shipping. from them, as far as I can tell they look brand new with scratched paint barely scratched paint I may add and they work well.

I hate Rustys also and yes I've only owned 2 XJs with the his lift.

His coils and springs are okay, control arms and tracbars/mount all suck.

I've came to the conclusion that I really dont need to go extreme with this jeep. It's my Daily driver.

Where can I get a cheap B.B.? I'll be happy with 31" tires and a 2 inch BB.

I have a 92 with 4.5" lift almost all junkyard stuff and have wheeled the heck out of it. If you want to go really cheap and run 31's with a lot of flex here was my recipe:

V-6 TBird springs with adapter plates (search there are lots of pics and details)
Home made disco's using an F250 (or was it Chevy 2500?) rear sway bar links with wing nuts on top.
Bastard pack using a combo of XJ main & trimmed Bronco II springs (thin and highly arched)
Home made bump stops, square tubing rear & hockey pucks front.
I ran this with a 1.375 home made T-Case drop for several months. Later I added the SYE conversion and used an XJ front drive shaft in rear.

New parts:
TerraFlex adjustable lowers (great rock sliders & they protect the chassis mounts). Not essential but real nice to have.
Monroe shocks (12" travel front, 13 inch travel rear) dirt cheap @$20 each.
TJ front brake lines, Chevy? rear brake line. Dirt cheap.
New U-bolts & nuts.
SYE conversion, not essential but very nice to have at 4.5"

Dont forget to add rock sliders (I like AJ's). Lower rigs need more protection and when you lift you are more likely to go place that will damage your rockers.

John

Back